no sound after formatting and reinstalling xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rooty, Feb 5, 2006.

1. rooty

rooty Private E-2

hi

i just formated C and reinstalled windows (xp professional) and all is be correct, except that it seems that the computer doesn't recognize any devices (soundcard, webcam).

found out about it after installing winamp:

"waveOut output v2.1 error

No sound devices found. Please buy a soundcard first (or install proper drivers if you think that you have one).

Error code: 2
    Windows error message:
    "A device ID has been used that is out of range for your system." "

but it's not only winamp, i don't have any sounds, not even system sounds. the only sound that does come, seems to come from the computer itself, not from speakers, and it's a disturbing beep (comes with popup messages etc). media player does play the picture, but with no sound. bs player doesn't play anything, when tried, it just collapses.

tried the troubleshoot, it directed me to device manager (control panel > performance and maintenance > administrative tools > computer management > device manager):

" 1) Open Device Manager.
    2) Double-click Sound, video and game controllers, right-click your sound device, and then click Properties.
    3) If you do not know the name of your sound device, consult the documentation that came with it.
    4) Under Device usage, make sure that Use this device (enable) is selected.
    5) Click OK.
    6) Restart your computer if you are prompted to do so. "

my problem is that the place where Device usage is, is gray (it IS there, but i cannot use it).

then troubleshoot directed:

" 1) Open Sounds and Audio Devices Properties in Control Panel.
    2) On the Audio tab, click your sound device in the Default device lists under both Sound Playback and Sound Recording. "

the sound playback slot is also gray and unusable. the sound recording slot is usable, but the only option under default device is 'USB Audio Device'

troubleshoot:

" 1) Open Device Manager.
    2) Double-click Sound, video, and game controllers.
    3) Double-click your sound device.
    4) Click the Properties tab, and then double-click Audio Devices.
    5) Click your sound device, and then click Properties.
    6) Click Use audio features on this device.
    7) Click OK until you return to Device Manager.
    8) Restart your computer. "

when i open the properties tab, it's just empty, there isn't even anything to choose as my sound device.

and when i tried to update my audio driver (device manager > right click on my audio driver > update) then i get: "the wizard could not find a beter match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

and from some other place, can't even remember where, i checked all the things under my Sound, video and game controllers, then it was said for each of them that "the device is working properly".

i even tried to install some codecs, hoping for some help (AC3 Filter + some DivX codec pack) but nothing. even bs player didnt start showing the picture.

this s**t is getting on my nerves and i just can't figure out what could be wrong

under my 'Sound, video and game controllers' i have:

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Audio Drivers (yes, twice, because at some point, when trying to reinstall the audio driver (from add hardware, i think) the other one appeared)
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    USB Audio Device
    Video Codecs

thats it

also, troubleshoot advised a windows update (start > all programs > windows update). did that too, but didnt seem to help.

i'd appreciate any help.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Have you installed your motherboard chipset drivers? Download Everest from the System Info section and run it, and it will give you information about all the devices on your computer! Hope this helps! Welcome to MajorGeeks!:)

3. rooty

rooty Private E-2

i tried the everest thing and i couldnt understand it

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

After you install Everest and run it, just double click on devices in the smaller screen to the right, and it will list all the devices attached to your computer and give the manufacturer of the chipset.

Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers???:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds