No Sound after installing COMODO Firewall?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sam1911, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Hi!

After a recent huge bout with some tenacious malware, I installed COMODO Firewall (and some other things, but I think C.F. is the issue).

Now, I can't get any sound out of my system (almost) at all. I've checked every setting I can find and everything is plugged in correctly.

I'm running XP, and a S.B. Audigy2 card, and on the login screen I get the usual login tone, loud and clear as soon as I enter my password, but that's the last sound it will make, period.

I did download the latest release (Apr, '10, I think) for the Audigy driver, but that didn't help.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Sam

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

A firewall should not have ANY effect on your audio.
    What else was installed at the same time?

4. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Spyware Terminator at the same time.

5. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

On rebooting the machine does not make the usual windows noise, but at login that three-tone login chime sounds off loud and clear.

Then silence reigns once Windows is up. No system sounds, no sound files. No error messages, either.

I tried running the Microsoft "FixIT" thing, but it seemed to stall out completely (nothing happened for 10+ minutes anyway).

6. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

O.k. Ran the FixIt program and it says it found the sound to be muted. (It wasn't, I'd checked that 20 times.) So it declares the problem fixed. Unfortunately sound isn't yet eminating from my computer, so it must be using an alternate definition of "fixed." ;)

Sigh.

7. tgell

If you play a music CD, there are no sounds also?

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Anything else besides Spyware Terminator?
    In your first post, you said "some other things." (plural where I went to school).

9. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Heh. Plural. Yes. See it was real late when I was trying to work through the list of "what to do to avoid malware" things, so I got a little confused.

I think Spyware Terminator and COMODO Firewall were the only two things I actually installed.

I had checked for updates to Windows and lost a lot of time on that. I was good on the critical updates, but there were some optional ones listed that kept freezing the machine. I got a few blue screen crashes and had to go back to a system restore point twice or three times and then gave up on those.

10. pistol

pistol Private First Class

did you check the advanced volume settings in audio properties ? sometimes these settings get knocked down to off for one reason or another,on my wife's machine it happens when a game freezes or crashes ,or try to rollback the audio drivers

Attached Files:

• ss.JPG
      ss.JPG
      File size:
      14.3 KB
      Views:
  11. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Yes, pistol. I did look at that, too. Thanks, though.

-Sam

12. tgell

There is one thing I forgot. If you run dxdiag it will take you through a series of tests and show any files that might not be correct or missing.

Start> Run and type in “dxdiag”

13. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Thanks! I'll do that tonight when I get back home.

-Sam

14. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

I had my wife run dxdiag. She says it tells her that system.dll is missing, and "ctaud2k.sys has not been digitally signed."

-Sam

15. tgell

16. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Ok. I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

-Sam

17. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

Here's the dxdiag log if it is of any use:

Attached Files:

18. tgell

So, still no sound? When you go to control panel>sound and audio devices and click on the audio tab, is the default device listed as your audigy2 card?

19. Sam1911

Sam1911 Private E-2

I guess I should say Eureka.

I finally got back to Creative's site (it was down for maintenance yesterday) and re-downloaded the Audigy 2 driver latest version. It was even the same filename as I'd d/l'd the day before, but this time when I ran the setup and restarted, I have sound!

(It froze up solid while installing -- but that seems to happen now with every update and installation two or three times.)

So, I guess that does it! Sound is good. Many many thanks again!

-Sam

20. tgell

Glad to hear you finally have sound! Persistence does pay.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds