no sound, etc after running system recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by griffer, Mar 26, 2008.

1. griffer

griffer Private E-2

Good morning. To MG's dlb & musksnipe, I want to thank you for all your avice and info. I ran system recovery again and now I have sound. Everything is as it should be except for the CD-ROM drive. It does not read or play cd's. It is a Mitsumi CD-ROM FX48++W. Device manager says that it is functioning normally in general tab. Properties tab I tried a cd with digital audio enabled and disabled. Same result. Driver provider is Microsoft. I cannot update the driver from my system. Should I attempt to find and download the driver from Microsoft or do something else? Thanks in advance. griffer

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you get any indication that the drive is reading as in the little led on the front flickering? also if you pop in a CD and then goto My Computer and click the CD drive does it open the cd contents or give you an error? ( if error what is it )

Check the internal cables to and from the motherboard to CD are all connected firmly, even to the point of pulling them out and replacing ( may also be a faulty IDE ribbon cable, so if you have spare try that ).

At times other software can corrupt the CDROM drivers, and while they may report their status as OK, they are in fact not ok and give many variable issues, to see if this is the case these instructions are worth using http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145532 ( note: you will likely have to re-install any 3rd party CD burning software you had installed )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds