NO sound following system recovery

Discussion in 'Software' started by DrumGuy, Apr 12, 2008.

1. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Hi all....

Just recently did a full system restore from the System Restore cds and now no sound is heard.

From what the documentation states I should now have an "out of the box" working computer. Um, no.....

I have all drivers (I believe) loaded and all settings seem to be accurate...

Please help...

Everest report attached

DG

Attached Files:

2. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

have you looked in the device manager according to the everest i dont see sound propeties. unless i missed it.

3. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

your sound comes from the modem youll need to reinstall the drivers for your modem then your sound should work again.

4. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

forget my reply i seen your sound properties. need to look in device manager ,what does it show. like a yellow mark next to your sound. or nothing there. not showin up on the irq section.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

6. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Well....

I have loaded the chipset and drivers (again) to no avail.

No matter what I try, nada...

I have noticed however throughout the entire process no listing in device manager for SoundMax. The only listings are for codecs & drivers and no where to be found is the happy yellow " ! "

:cry

7. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

OK.... I've tried something else seeing as how I recall when I was trying to load the SoundMax drivers the screen would hang and NOT let me "x" out to close program. (This was after the "computer must reboot message)

I attempted to load the drivers while in Safe Mode and I got a "computer contains wrong model info" message and that was it,install closed.

Any thoughts??

DG
    :confused

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Check:
    Windows Audio Service is started.
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked

Check:
    BIOS to insure on-board sound is enabled.
    As the PC starts, press one of these keys,
    (here is a list by manufacturer)http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm
    Or the right key will be posted on the very first screen.
    Tap it until you enter set-up, then look for your audio (it should be in Advanced or in Integrated Peripherals)
    Make sure sound is set correctly, when finished. For Onboard Sound (Enabled) For an add-on Sound Card (Disabled)

9. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

musksnipe....

Windows Audio service is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

BIOS on-board sound is enabled.

Still nada...

Just tried again to load SoundMax while in normal mode and I was unable to complete install for some reason. As I've stated earlier, SoundMax is not listed under sounds in device manager yet when I try to attempt to re-load the drivers I get a "these drivers are already installed. Would you like to re-install driver". That's when I attempt to re-load and at some point the install fails.

I'm starting to wonder if something failed during restoration. Considering doing another recovery to see if the problem fixes itself.
    Worth my time?

Perplexed....
    DG

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Try this:
    Scenario One
    You DO have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Right-click “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click “Update Driver”
    * Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click Next
    * Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Scenario Two
    You DON’T have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
    * Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
    * Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
    * Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
    * Go to the Control Panel and run “Add Hardware”
    * When the Add Hardware Wizard appears, click Next
    * Wait for it to search for new hardware
    * Choose Yes, I have already connected the hardware and click Next
    * Scroll all the way down and select “Add a new hardware device”, click Next
    * Choose “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)”, click Next
    * Select “Show All Devices” and click Next
    * Click “Have Disk”
    * Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
    * Under Model, select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator”, click Next
    * To start installing the drivers, click Next
    * Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Now see if you can install your driver.

If that doesn't work and you still think there is something no quite right with your OS, try running the System File Checker.
    Insert your OS disc and close auto-play if it opens.
    Goto Start>Run, type cmd and press Enter.
    A command window will open, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
    This will compare your OS files to the OS files on your OS disc and repair or replace any missing or corrupt files, without affecting your personal files. (Music, Photos, Apps, etc.)

11. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

musksnipe....

I used "senario one" to no avail.....

When I attempted to load the drivers, as usual, the install hung to the point where I had to kill the process to get it to close (the "x'' was greyed out leaving me with no ability to "x-out"

I did however recieve a message when the program did close: "An error occurred while launching the setup - The remote procedure call failed"

I am currently running the sfc so I'm still waiting to see what if anything turns up there....

*UPDATE* Ran SFC with no issues noted.....

:Oh, since my last posting @ 17:44 I have performed a second system restore and I'm no better off than I was before..... Biggest pain is that I have to update everything all over again.... :(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

This is a weird one.
    I am definite that is the correct driver for you.
    I didn't see any thing that might conflict with the install.
    These are the special notes for install:
    Are you logged as an administrator? Try using the main administrator account.
    Also, get offline, disconnect your modem or power it off, shut all your apps down (including AV)
    Give it another try.

It is also possible that your sound chip has taken a dump on you. The solution to that, would be to buy an add-on card.

13. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

are there any conflicts in the resource section in the device manager for sounds, did u uncheck the startup for sound max before reinstalling the drivers?

14. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

musksnipe...

I have tried every possible way to get the drivers to re-load yet fail at every turn. (see my prior post)

Now, when I do try to re-load the drivers the install process tells me they are already installed. It's when I attempt to re-load that the problem occurrs.

Now considering the drivers are already loaded why am I not seeing SoundMax listed under sounds in device manager? And as far as the pc is concerned there is no sound device attached. (again, on-board sound)

scott_hayes89....

I have no conflicts whatsoever under device manager and EVERY setting is where it should be from BIOS to Services.

The listings under Sounds in Device Manager:
    Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

15. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

well if windows dont see it then it seems your bios must be misplaced somewhere even though you may think the settings are correct i would double check your bios settings to just to be sure..how about trying uninstall your drivers first then rollback to the original drivers and see what happens.make sure your startup for sound is unchecked before you rollback.

16. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Check in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, click the Volume tab. Make sure the box for placing the volume icon in the task bar is checked.
    Also check the Audio tab. See if SoundMax is listed in the Sound Playback Default Device list.
    Also check the Hardware tab. See if SoundMax is listed in the list. If it is make sure it is enabled.
    And last, right click the Volume icon in the Task bar and choose open Volume Control, choose Advanced, and make sure Digital Output is NOT checked.

17. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

or try this go to device manger to the system devices and go to plug & play bios properties and disable the escd updates/nvram.and reboot.

18. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

musksnipe....

The biggest problem lies in the fact that I am unable to attempt any your last suggestions as the system shows "no audio devices attached" (all options tied to the sound properties is grayed out & no speaker appears in the task bar) yet when I've attempted to re-load the drivers the install notes that the drivers are already installed and do I want to overwrite them.

scott_hayes89...

I've never heard of a BIOS being "misplaced" but I'm all ears..
    I can confirm that "on-board" sound is enabled.
    There is no option for turning off a sound card.

As I've mentioned
    I've have twice done a System Restore from the cds provided by the manufacturer, which was supposed to give me a fresh "out-of-the-box" system. Every single setting is where it is supposed to be, power to speakers is on & the correct port is being used for speaker output.

I believe there is something preventing me from re-loading the drivers that is the root cause of my problem.

In summary:

When I attempted to load the drivers, as usual, the install hung to the point where I had to kill the process to get it to close (the "x'' was greyed out leaving me with no ability to "x-out"

The message that appeared when the program did close was: "An error occurred while launching the setup - The remote procedure call failed"

I attempted to load the drivers while in Safe Mode and I got a "computer contains wrong model info" message and that was it,install closed.

Windows Audio service is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

BIOS on-board sound is enabled.

Ran SFC with no issues noted

Re-loaded Chipset Driver w/no problem

I have noticed throughout the entire process there is no listing in device manager under "Sounds" for SoundMax. The only listings are for codecs & drivers and no where to be found is the happy yellow " ! "

This machine is free of any virus, malware, spyware, trojans or ANY type of "outside" interference that could be considered the cause of issue.

The one thing I have also noticed is that this machine runs far too slow for it's processor speed and I'm wondering if there's some tie-in involved. I have seen the cpu usage meter peak when nothing is going on. And yes, I have done a defrag.

DG

19. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

have u tried looking in the services for remote procedure. make sure is not disable..

20. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

Remote Procedure Call is "Started" & set to "Automatic"

Remote Procedure Call Locator is set to "Manual" & NOT started

21. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It looks more and more like your sound chip went south. ( just a possibility, as 90% of the time it is a driver or setting that is off)
    When you did your restores, did you reformat the HDD, also?

22. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

musksnipe...

I went right with the System Restore CDs that came with the machine as designed.

But I just found something very interesting...

When I ran the defrag I noticed that my "C" drive is the smaller volume drive where "C" is @ 15.6gb FAT32 File System), "D" is @ 41.63gb NTFS File System.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the larger drive of the 2 supposed to be desiginated as the "C" drive??

And could this be where the situation I'm having currently be a by-product of what I just found concerning the drive sizes?

I am SO ready to loft this thing thru a wall!! :cry

23. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't know that much about partitions, but most things are set to install in C: unless YOU change the path. If the smaller of the partitions (C: ) is your recovery partition or a special partition of some kind and D: is your main partition with your OS, I think that might cause a problem, but I am just guessing.
    That is a question you may want to put out in Hardware or Software (not sure what would be the best forum spot for that)

24. DrumGuy

DrumGuy Private E-2

musksnipe...

I'm thinking you may be right in that I'm going to post this problem over in hardware and see what comes up there.

As I've mentioned, I did the restore from the manufacture Restore cds so I have changed NOTHING and am chasing this like a novice would. So far I feel like a novice considering I can't figure out what the hell is going on.

I do appreciate your input and will report back with what the final solution is.

DG

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds