No sound From Lenovo ThinkCentre M55 after Windoes re-installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by William the Silent, May 14, 2011.

1. William the Silent

William the Silent Private E-2

Hello, I'm from Holland, and I bought a Lenovo ThinkCentre from work, but the IT boss insisted that it's C: drive would have to be formatted to avoid license issues. So I took an official Windows XP SP2 CD, and formatted the C drive as requested, and installed XP, followed by downloading zillions of updates to bring it to SP3 level. Before formatting I wrote down the details of the LAN- and sound drivers (having learnt this the hard way in the past). I went to the Lenovo support site to download the drivers.
    Everything worked...but not the sound. I checked the driver, it was the same one as before the re-installation. I uninstalled / installed without succes. Then I read a readme file that accompanied the sound driver, and it said the Universal Audio Architecture High Definition Audio Class Driver (KB888111US) must be installed first.

So I went to Microsoft KB111888 and was happy to find a Fix wizard, but it couldn't solve the problem, so I asked for the Hotfix, and they sent me an e-mail with a link and two passwords (valid before and after 5/5/2011). By clicking the link I could download a zip file called 216954_intl_i386_zip. I clicked it, it started to unzip and asked for passwords...but it didn't extract anything at all! Skipping didn't help either. I tried to contact Microsoft Support but they asked 72 bucks before even listening to the problem...

I googled a lot, found lots of links to this zipfile, tried to download some, but didn't find any of them extracted any file at all. The closest I came was finding a link called kb888111.cab (file version 6.1.1.0) which told me that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. Which led me to re-installed XP SP2, and run it. This seemed to work, but still no sound. I updated to SP3 again, hoping (in vain) that something had changed. By now I felt like I had been hit by one of our traditional Dutch windmills...

This is when I hit this Forum, thread http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1245201#post124520 which describes a very similar problem...and solution!!!

I followed the posts and tried to download from the mentioned link http://cid-b316fd2b0f78cee5.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public but didn't find the KB888111 commonfiles which seem to have been there in November 2008. To be honest, I was very happy to discover that the site still exists and even seems to be an official Microsoft site. And I was even more happy to see that DavidGP is still around to assist lost people on the Major Geeks Forum... I immediately joined this Forum, followed the instructions on Everest Home and attaching the report, I hope this is OK?

So, DavidGP or any of your colleagues, is it possible to get me those KB 888111-files? Perhaps I can send you some Dutch Cheese in return...

Attached Files:

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

3. William the Silent

Thanks for the quick reaction, but...
    - the ftp site gives: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    - the couponmeister link gives the screen in attachment. If I choose option 1 it says: Server Error in '/' Application.
    The resource cannot be found.
    Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

If I choose option 2 I cannot get the pictue of the letters that I should type.
    Should I change something in the settings of Explorer?

I was a bit surprised to see Restaurant Coupons...can I change those for an Edam-cheese? ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. William the Silent

I have sound!!!
    My Mac was able to download from the couponmeister. But upon running it, it also mentioned that it wouldn't install the update because the Service Pack on the system was newer.

I hoped that something had changed nevertheless, and went to the Lenovo driver site again, installed the driver, and ran the setup in the SWTOOLS directory, and this worked.

To be completely completely honest, I'm not entirely sure (who ever is) that I did this before, because I always tried to install an updated driver thru the Device Manager, and directed it to the SWTOOLS directory. But there was no driver there, just a Setup file...

Where can I send the cheese though?

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good job! I'd like to take credit, but looks as if you handled things well on your end.

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the cheese...I mean, feedback. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds