No sound from webpages incl Youtube.......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strange1, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

I searched the forum but found no clear answer. Would appreciate any help or suggestions. I am working on a friends comp that has sound when playing CDs but no sound from internet. I checked everything I could think of, or glean from the internet. Now I am going to the top (MG).... The system is a Dell 4600 w/XP and a LG monitor. Recently I moved the sys to another location in her home. She tells me it had sound in old loc but not in current loc. I tried to use other jacks to see I had it plugged in ok but the integrated jack is the only one that will put out sound for the CD rom and nothing else. It has an optional sound card in the comp but not getting any sound from it. What do you think? If more info is needed I can obtain it, as the comp is not at my current location. Thanks for any response.

Strange1 (Jack)

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What version of windows is being run?

I know this one is obvious, but have you checked the volume mixer?

Does the add-in soundcard physically work (If necessary, in another computer) and register in device manager? if not, can you try pulling it and uninstalling any associated drivers? If it does work, are drivers installed for it and is it set as the default output device?

3. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been out of town a couple of days and haven't gotten back to it. BTW It's running XP Yes I checked the volume mixer. Also can play and hear cd in the CD rom. when speakers are plugged into the system jack. Doesn't seem to work when plugged into sound card. Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds