No sound on Acer laptop. Windows Vista.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loves160, Feb 15, 2008.

1. loves160

loves160 Private E-2

Hi guys,

A friend of mine has just purchased an Acer laptop. She says it comes without an instruction manual and has no sound on it. She has tried using the volume icon on the desktop but that hasn't worked neither has using the buttons on the keypad. The laptop runs on Vista and because I can't tell her how to get into device manager I can't check to see if there is a sound card present.

Can anyone offer any support. I am quite knowledgable with computers but she is a complete novice.

2. kestrel1

kestrel1 Private E-2

If she has the volume slider available I expect that the sound drivers are installed.
    If you go into the control panel, you should be able to get access to the device manager, possibly in System. Haven't got a Vista machine to hand & can't really remember, but I think it is similar to XP.
    If you double click on the speaker in the taskbar you should get the sound options up. Make sure that the sound is not muted.
    There may even be an option if you press the FN key & F1 to F12 that may disable the sound.
    I had something similar, that a user had disabled the touchpad & pressing FN & F7 re-enabled it.
    Anyway, may be worth looking at.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds