No sound on my Presario V5030ea laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob_stefanio, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Bob_stefanio

Bob_stefanio Private E-2

Ok here is the issue It began during my attempts to install Resident evil 1 i had a whole ton of compatiility issues so i set the program .exe file to run in compatibility mode under windows 98 now while this might be related I dont think so just taught i would mention it first off.

Ok so i dont get told to do all the simple noobie things firstly here is what i have done so far.

I have checked that i am muted thats a big no! on all fronts laptop physical buttons all fine, windows settings everyting is maxed out in volume no mutes anywere i have checked windows audio in services.msc and its grand. Next i proceeded to check device manager everything is great no errors no yellow exclimation marks anywere. I checked my bios no settings related to sound in there.

Next thing the problem occured when i had speakers plugged into the laptop so i checked them on several diffrent devices and they work fine i have removed them and still no sound out of my standard built in speakers i have also checked with a set of headphones nothing!!

Finally i figured its some software problem with windows something im not seeing so i boot into linux ubuntu (which i have dual booting on my hard drive for some time now and it used to work fine) what do you know NO SOUND!

So the issue must be something else now if its the bios i have no idea i checked everyting in it and nothing relates to sound. Is there a possibility something might be stuck in the speaker output of the laptop preventing sound from coming through speakers as when you plug in headphones and if so shouldnt it work when i plug in headphones? I have no idea of the internal working of a sound output connection so i dont know what makes it swap over the sound settings from internal speakers to external plug is it a switch mechanism a metal contact? something that might jam and can it be repaired.

Any help will be really appreciated sorry about the bad grammar i was never good in english class!

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Was there an audio device in the Device Manager?
    In Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio tab, what is the default playback device?

Not knowing what your system or motherboard is, (opps, just saw it posted in the thread title) I'll take a guess about the BIOS. Some have the sound settings in the Advanced section, others have it listed under Integrated Peripherals. One thing that most don't recognize as their sound is Azalia. BIOS probably isn't your problem anyway, if you had sound before the game install.

You may have to uninstall the game, do a system restore to before it's install and check your sound there. That shouldn't be a problem if you have the game disc.

This is basically what an audio jack looks like and how it works:
    Audio jack
    Basically, it breaks the circuit to your main speakers when you push the jack in and the contacts then send the signal through the new path created by the male plug.

3. Bob_stefanio

Bob_stefanio Private E-2

thanks for the audio jack picture that never knew quite how that worked.

Ok there is an audio device in device manager as well as codec and a few other things. I have uninstalled the game and have done a system restore and things seem fine then reinstalled the game and everything is working fine. Sounds is good even back working on ubuntu what could have caused that? Might it be a problem i will have in the future very scary stuff to think my sound could just go like that how would i get up for college lol!

Thanks a million for the help i never thaught a system restore would matter as everything checked out and when it didnt work on ubuntu i just figured it to be a hardware issue.

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Not certain what caused it, but apparently it was something with the original install of the game.
    Glad it's all straight for you now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds