No sound? Weird...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Speculant, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

After "repairing" my Windows XP Home Edition and reinstalling the sound drivers, this problem persists.

There is no sound, and the little speaker icon doesn't even show up in the taskbar. What to do?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Here's a couple things to check:
    Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services
    Scroll down the list of services until you find the Windows Audio service.
    Right click on it and choose Properties.
    Make sure it is set to Automatic and Start is checked.

Also go to Sounds and Audio in the Control Panel. Under the Volume tab, make sure the box is checked for "Place the Volume icon in the task bar"

3. Speculant

"windows audio" was already up and running, and set to start at boot

under "sounds and audio devices", it reports that there is no audio device

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Have you checked your device manager?

5. Lollyde

Lollyde Private E-2

Hi,
    I've had the same thing happen on a couple different computers. What worked for me was to go into the control panel, click on sound and audio, click on hardware, highlight the Realtek AC 97, click properties, then click driver and lastly click on Roll Back Driver. Hope it fixes your problem!
    Lauren

6. Speculant

ok, i uninstalled the new driver and installed the old version that came on my mobo cd, everything works

thanks!

(i think thats the last of my pc problems...everthing finally is stable and works again! yay!)

7. Lollyde

Lollyde Private E-2

Wonderful! Glad it worked for you too!

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

speculant, now what you want to do is get a program that collects all the non-MS drivers your computer is currently using and saves them to folders. Burn the folders to a CD so if you need to reinstall and something isn't working, you pop in the CD and point the install to the CD so it grabs the correct driver.

9. Speculant

could you provide an example of a program that does this?

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds