No spell check in OE2 with Windows XP??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zoecat, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Zoecat

Zoecat Private E-2

I recently had my Windows XP reinstalled with Service Pax2 (after having been misinformed to correct an E-Machine problem by using their System Restore CDs, which completely whiped out everthing. Oh Well what do I know?) I have OE6 and now find the previous spell check I had installed with the help of MajorGeek, is gone. In its place is a grayed out area with the letters "ABC", a check mark underneath and "spelling" underneath that. I have Microsoft Works which does have a spell check.
    I have seen similar questions regarding the absence of spell check, but no really good solutions. Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Zoecat.. Welcome to MGs

You have two options first is the easy one......

this Free spell checker will work with OE

Spell Checker for OE 2.1
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2952.html

or there is the slightly harder way....

if you have MS works installed... is it a version that comes with MS WORD? if so what could be missing is one of the DLLs ( Dynamic Link Libaries ) namely this one csapi3t1.dll which should be in this location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF if its not then you would need to extract it from your XP cd... but as you most likely have a Restore CD it may not be in the same location ( I not too up on OEM CDs )

but no fear see the attached ZIP file for the file ;) once you have un-zipped the file you need to copy the csapi3t1.dll into this location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF

then check to see if the Tools > Options > Spelling boxes are un-greyed!

Last edited: May 28, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds