no subwoofer output?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fayban, Jan 8, 2008.

1. fayban

fayban Private E-2

i recently bought a 5.1 speaker system and i'm having trouble hooking it up.

i have on board audio card (avance ac97). it has 3 outputs (front, rear, subwoofer/center). i checked all audio settings to make sure sure i selected 5.1 as my speakers.

now here is the problem. all 5 speakers + sub work individually. if connect either the front or rear computer output to the sub/center speaker, both put out sound. but when i connect it from the proper sub/center output of my audio card only the center speaker works, the sub doesn't, and there is no bass at all.

there is an option in the ac97 properties to test each speaker for sound by clicking on it. in the proper set-up all of the speakers work exept for the sub. if i dont connect them properly, for example front out goes to the sub/center and sub/center out goes to front, then the sub will have sound, the center will have sound, but only 1 of the 2 front speakers will have sound.

its as if the sub/center output and outputs to 1 speaker. what the hell?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused I'm confused. You start out saying you have a new 5.1 sound card, and you follow that up with saying your on board sound is Avance AC97. Then you go on to say that this speaker does this when plugged in here or there... Are you talking about the speakers being plugged into the new sound card or into the on board sound? Or both? Personally, I'd disable the on board sound in the BIOS or Windows Device Manager, then I'd uninstall the on board sound drivers and software also, before installing the new sound card and its drivers, just to insure that there's no conflicts.

3. fayban

fayban Private E-2

i have an old sound car. the speakers + amp/sub are new and i was having trouble connecting them.

problem solved though. stupid mistake. there was another slot with a sub/center output which i didnt see before. it works now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds