No Video on Boot with Bios Beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bcruz, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Bcruz

Bcruz Private E-2

My Build-

Motherboard: ASRock M3 A770DE
    Processor: Phenom II X4 810 Deneb 2.6GHz
    Memory: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
    Video Card: ATI Radeon 2900XT w/ 1GB DDR3(?) RAM - I know it's old:-o

I just built a (mostly new) computer. I am getting BIOS Beeps when the video card is attached 2 short beeps followed by 8 short beeps. I've done some research and it seems that the 2 beeps indicate a memory parity error. The video card is having an error too (indicated by the 8 short beeps)

The strange thing is that it only Beeps when the card is in the motherboard's primary PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. If i Plug it into the the other PCIe slot I get no beeps other than the single standard beep. But in no instance do I get video output. My monitor indicates that no signal is being received.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sounds like your video card is shot. It sounds like a memory error of the video card.

Don't plug a PCI Express into a PCI slot. You could damage your motherboard because it isn't designed for that.

Have another PC to test the video card?

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Pull the RAM and VC, use a Q Tip and some cleaning alcohol and rub the copper contact surfaces and allow to dry.

Try using the VC and a single RAM module in DIMM_1. See if that works (swap the RAM modules into the same slot).

4. Bcruz

Bcruz Private E-2

I came to the same conclusion video card memory error. Already tried VC and RAM as described, still no dice. Time to Upgrade!

P.S. I just wanted to let you know that I only plugged the video into only the correct PCIe slots. My motherboard has two for video cards and as part of my troubleshooting process, I plugged it into the different slots.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds