no video on realplayer

Discussion in 'Software' started by sinan, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinan

sinan Private E-2

Good day all.

I installed realplayer on winxp pro, start playing wmv file but no video, only audio is coming, I installed some codecs, vga driver with no luck. Also I tried gom player the same I got. I can play avi with no problem.

Please help.

Thanks.

sinan

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

from Wikipedia:
    Windows Media Video (WMV) is a compressed video compression format for several proprietary codecs developed by Microsoft. The original video format, known as WMV, was originally designed for Internet streaming applications, as a competitor to RealVideo.

Other players are supposed to be able to play wmv but you might want to try Window Media Player for testing unless there is a reason you don't want it.

3. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

My suggestion is to use either VLC Media Player or The KMPlayer (I have both, and use KMPlayer for everything except Real Media files, which I use VLC Media Player to play).

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Also, it might not hurt to check into a CODEC pac, like K-Lite Codec Pack here at MG: http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Pack_Basic_d5228.html

The link is for the basic pack, there are other versions available. CODEC stands for "Compression/Decompression" . . . they basically allow your system/and or a player to recognize and use the file you are trying to play.

However, I have found few files that the VLC player cannot handle. I've never used the KMplayer.

5. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

VLC and KMPlayer have codecs built in though... so they don't need any codecs to be installed. ;)

6. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

True for VLC . . . I can't say for the KMplayer - but it's not always true for other players out there - some make use of external codecs and don't install with all of them. :)

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Correct. VLC and KMPlayer both use built-in codecs, which is the main reason I use them... no codec updates to worry about (they come with program, so if there's a program update, it's all automatic). I prefer KMPlayer simply because its GUI is better than VLC... plus it seems to have more options (especially with subtitles... you can literally do anything you want with subs -- have them display ANYWHERE you want on screen, change the font, size, bold, italic, etc.), and it uses the spacebar to pause (can't remember if VLC does). Its fullscreen interface is better, too... just better all around, I think. But, .rm files don't work with it, so I keep VLC around for those.

That's why I stopped using other players... I had to use one player for one file, another for a different file, install ANOTHER codec for a third file, and so on. My video media experience is a breeze now.:major

8. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Thanks. :) I'll have to give KMplayer a try. I'd not heard of it before . . . I've always used VLC for most stuff.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Not a problem! I can't remember how I found out about it, but it's the best video media player I've ever come across. It also seems to be light on system resources (I have an ancient processor and DDR RAM rolleyes).

10. sinan

sinan Private E-2

Merry christmas to ALL.

I just gave a try to Windows Media player but got same problem.

I believe I have something wrong on system not players.

Thanks.

11. sinan

sinan Private E-2

Hi and merry christmas.

I tried both, VLC Media Player worked but The KMPlayer did not.
    I like realplayer and will work to have it up.

Thanks.

12. sinan

sinan Private E-2

Hi and merry christmas Spad.

I did install light and advanced codecs but still have problem.
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds