No yahoo mail default option?

Discussion in 'Software' started by greybuffalo, Dec 20, 2009.

1. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

When I go to it options,programs,I don't see yahoo,only outlook express?
    Ive been through this before,but cannot remember how to do :confused

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

3. greybuffalo

Yes I do have yahoo toolbar installed and had already treid that methode,but like I say,there is no yahoo in that box.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

5. greybuffalo

The last thing I wanted to do was install yahoo messenger,as I don't use it and that little bubble is sooo irritating,popping up all the time.
    But no,I still do not have a yahoo option rolleyes

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Well, I don't know what else to recommend. I have a free Yahoo email account but it's not my primary email account and I have never tried to set it as the default email program. Obviously, since it's a web-based email service, getting Windows to recognize it as an email "program" in Options, Programs falls outside the normal case of designating an installed email client such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, etc., as the default email program.

Stay tuned, perhaps someone else can suggest a solution. And, of course, you can do your own Google search on make yahoo mail default option and peruse the findings.

7. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

You used to be able to set Yahoo Mail as your default mail service, but in Vista I don't think you can anymore -- I think the only options now are Microsoft mail services.

There is a work-around that helps a little bit though, which is, in your Command Bar, to include Yahoo Mail as one of multiple Home Pages, so that you, at least, always have a shortcut to it anywhere you are, on line.

To do this, go to your Yahoo Mail home page, click on Home (in your Command Bar) and select "Add or change home page." Then check "Add this webpage to your home page tabs," and Okay. From then on, whenever you want a shortcut to Yahoo Mail, just click on the Home link + it will be there, along with your Home Page.

(PS You can also add any additional frequently used shortcut links to your Home Page list. It's very handy to always have them there, for easy access to them!)

(PPS If your Command Bar is hidden, you can make it visible by going to any IE page, clicking View, Toolbars, and checking Command Bar.)

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

He mentioned Outlook Express in his original post. Windows Vista does not have Outlook Express; therefore, he must be using Windows XP.

greybuffalo, you could try YPOPs! It adds the capability to use OE or another POP email client. This would be a solution to your problem. Or, if you're willing to pay for Yahoo! Mail Plus, you'll have the capability to use to use Outlook. or other desktop email applications with POP access.

Also, if a switch to Gmail is an option, it will work with Outlook. or other desktop email applications with POP access; that is, the free Gmail service will do this. Yahoo! Mail Plus costs $19.99/yr.

9. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

Thanks usafveteran. Greybuffalo, if you're using XP, try going to Tools, Internet Options, Programs, Internet Programs, Set Programs. You should have several options, and if I remember correctly, the ones that allow you to choose Yahoo mail, are Non-Microsoft + Custom.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds