/NOEXECUTE=optin

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdonah, Jun 13, 2013.

1. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can anyone tell me why this phrase is showing in the boot.ini file ahead of /fastdetect after a clean install of Windows XP Pro.

It doesn't matter whether I install from the Dell OEM CD I got with my computer or the retail version for refurbished pcs I purchased.

I expect the /NOEXECUTE=optin phrase if I've dual booted with XP and Linux but not on a fresh install.

The boot.ini should read:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

instead of:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=optin /fastdetect

after a clean install.

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info and link. I guess it's nothing for me to be concerned about. :)

I find it interesting, though, that the /NOEXECUTE=optin parameter didn't show in the boot.ini file until after I had dual booted with XP and some Linux distro. It also shows in the Windows XP boot.ini file if I dual boot with XP and Windows 7.

I guess the installer for XP reads from the "hidden Windows partition" which doesn't get deleted if I use a Windows based partitioning utility's (such as AOMEI Partition Assistant or EaseUS Partition Master) "Delete Partition" or "Wipe Partition" tool prior to formatting the partition NTFS and leaving the file system intact when doing a fresh install.

However, if I use DBAN v1.0.7 to wipe the HDD, and then format to NTFS and install WXP SP3, the /NOEXECUTE=optin parameter doesn't show in the boot.ini file. DEP is chosen by default (in either case, I guess, from the info on the linked page).

Again, thanks for the info and link. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds