Nokia pc suite is being a jerk!

Discussion in 'Software' started by bootoo, Nov 2, 2004.

1. bootoo

bootoo Private E-2

so ive been on virtualdr crying about this and the good people sent me this way...

so i downloaded nokia pc suit 5.1...then i got a new phone which came with 5.8 which needed me to delete 5.1 before i could install 5.8

so i used the uninstall thing. still couldnt install newer version because old version still showing...so i used add remove programmes and it was still in there, tried to uninstall, blue bar only goes half way then it stops
    so i delete the files from the folder in programmes files. still cant install newer version

so THEN when i turn on my comp it tries to reinstall nokia suite 5.1 - pisses me off a little bit, do a search for all files associated with nokia and delete - but still cant install newer version, 5.1 tries to install on loading...virtual dr peeps tell me to use a regedit programme so i see nokia and remove it, it stops trying to install on loading computer but NOW whenever i enter a web address in explorer and push enter it tries to download it and when i open a programme it tries to download!

all the while i cant install the newer version! i even tried re-installing the old version but i cant install anything nokia until i remove whats already there, and i cant remove whats already there!

any suggestions appreciated! THX!

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Okay... I know someone who used to have some bad problems with this piece of software. I'll see what I can dig up.

The Virtual Dr's were right. I would download RegCleaner. When you run it, you should see a great list of programs you've got installed. Find the Nokia PC suite, check it, then click "remove selected". IIRC, that should remove any registry entries related to the program.

Once you've done that, go Start -> Run -> type msconfig. Make sure there is nothing in the Startup tab to do with nokia (that should have been removed by regclean anyway). Close it and Restart :)

Go to C:/program files/ and delete any nokia folder you come across.

Then go to
    C:/Program Files/InstallShield Installation Information/
    (its hidden, make sure you've turned on Hidden Files/folders. ) Select all the folders and delete them.

Now, open up Regcleaner again. Go Tools, Registry Clean, Do them All. Select anything to do with Nokia you see, and remove them.

Now, try installing the newer version of the PC Suite.

Hopefully, that should have removed all traces of the suite so shouldn't bug you in IE, but if not we can always look at a HJT log and remove it that way. But lets see what happens first.

3. bootoo

bootoo Private E-2

have tried all of the above to no avail T.T :rolleyes:

keeps popping up on me!!!!!!!!!!! IT WONT DIE!!!!!!!!!

on trying to install the error message is ''failed to load setup extension DLL 'checkinst.dll'. Setup will not function correctly. Please exit all programmes, restart windows and try again''

4. bootoo

bootoo Private E-2

WAIT! its fixed!

after doin all that you said (apart from reinstalling newer version of pc suite) i read you post, installed newer version and it installed! then on trying to open it and still when accessing web pages it was STILL trying to install 5.1...

...so i used the 5.8 version uninstall utility and BOOM! problem solved!

cheers for all your help compadre! :)

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

I was gunna get back to you on that.... apparently the guys at nokia support say to install, install, then uninstall :p crazy !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds