Nonexistent file on harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dicktu, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Dicktu

Dicktu Private E-2

OS - Windows SP2
    System - Pentium P4
    Memory - 1 Gig

Saved an E-mail attachment to my Harddrive. The file had an EML extension. Scanned it with Norton and it was clean. Double clicked it and nothing happened. After running the file, it dropped the EML extension and now shows Zero Bytes. The file name is

"Mars - in August - Must see...REMINDER..."

When I tried deleting it, it said the file could not be found. The file name is in the folder greyed out but every utility I use says it cannot find the file. I've been able to rename the folder from C:\Temp to C:\Temp2 and move all the subfolders into a new C:\Temp.

I've ran a complete scan on the drive with System Works, Disk Doctor, and every other utility I have at my disposal without success. I ran a program (Can't remember the name) that was supposed to delete the file on the next Boot Up but that didn't work. However it did find the file and indicated it was a System, Hidden file. If tried booting to DOS and searching for the file, but it isn't there.

The file hasn't has any detrimental effects on my system but I would just like to get rid of it. I like a clean system and this is bugging me.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this Nonexistent file?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

If I have this right, you have a folder called C:\temp with the weird file in it?

Have you tried to give it a new extention or replace .eml? ( you can do this by unticking show known extentions in Tools > Folder Options > View ) also while there click show all hidden files and folders.

or you could try and use this app ( trial version ) and completly wipe that folder and contents ( as you have them now backed up ) http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=730 either right click folder and send to Eraser or Drag and Drop it in the main window and click Erase All.

3. Dicktu

Dicktu Private E-2

Thank you for your quick response.

4. Dicktu

Dicktu Private E-2

Hurray. Thank you, THANK YOU. The suggested program did do the trick. I was able to finally find the correct combination and was able to delete the folder C:\Temp2. Again, thank you for your assistance.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds