NOOK HD+ connection to PC running XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by welsheagle, Jul 30, 2013.

1. welsheagle

welsheagle Private E-2

Hi,

I have just bought a NOOK HD+ device which I am very happy with.

I followed the instructions to connect it to my pc running XP SP3 which said that the MTP driver would be installed so that I could access the device.
    It may have loaded (or attempted) to load the driver but when I look at the device on Windows Explorer, it just shows NOOK instead of My Nook and when I try to copy anything to it, it says it is Read-only and cannot copy. It is showing it as a Removable Disk which is incorrect.

I looked in the Driver list within System and it shows the drivers as not being loaded so I went directly to MS and downloaded it from there. It seemed to load correctly but then wanted to reboot the pc. I did this and when I checked,, bingo, no driver installed.

I then connected it to my work laptop which is running Windows 7 and it worked first time without any problems.

I left a message on the MS Community forum in the hope that someone would be able to help but without any response.

Hopefully, someone on this site will know how I can get the MTP driver to work on my pc so that I can transfer documents and files to the HD+ device.

Many thanks.

Welsheagle.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have Windows Media Player 11 Installed? if not install it from HERE

Are you using a USB Hub or the main PC USB ports to connect? if a HUB use the main ports to try.

I would use Add/Remove and Device Manager to uninstall any drivers installed for this device, reboot (with the NOOK not connected) into the Admin account if there are a few accounts on this PC. Turn your NOOK fully off and then back on again and plug it into a main USB port, one likely around the back of the PC. The drivers should load again

Sadly I don't have a NOOK to test with.

3. welsheagle

welsheagle Private E-2

Hi DavidGP,

Thanks for a quick response.

I made sure it was the correct version of WMP, even reinstalling it to be on the safe side.

I plug the USB cable directly into my PC.

I will try your advice though in unloading the drivers again and then using the USB plugs at the back rather than on the side of the PC. I'm prepared to try anything to get it working now :-D

Thanks for you help and I will let you know how it goes (I can only do it later this afternoon).

Cheers

4. welsheagle

welsheagle Private E-2

Hi DavidGP,

I tried everything that you suggested. I can see the drivers in the System32 folder but the Hardware Install function just will not pick them up.

Crazy.

And I am rapidly going the same way:confused

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Try re-installing the MTP drivers again HERE and reboot after install and install again and reboot, weird times XP doesn't pick up some drivers at first go.

Another thought I had was the Motherboard Chipset, is likely to be an old version for your model PC and maybe worth looking into if there is an updated version, may update some hardware drivers, that then will allow the MTP drivers to install.

I know from Vista upwards MTP is built into the OS, just was not in XP.

One thing I have read but don't know its validity is on your NOOK disabling from Settings > Applications > Development and USB Debugging and disable it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds