Normal Computer Temps?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, May 19, 2009.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Are my temperatures ok?
    The desktop is 5 years old.

The computer has been running all day.

I just finished cleaning the fans with a Q-tip (2 fans at the back of the case, one blows out, the other blows in... the other fan is pointed towards the CPU?), a Swiffer duster to lightly touch on everything else, a small hand held battery powered dustbuster to help suck up any dust in the crevices... which was useless because the battery died anways, lol, and the attachment to reach into small places was too big to get near the fan, lol.

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The CPU temp seems a bit high to me. If it's idling at over 50c, then under a load it would probably run at over 70c which (IMO) is too high. If you have never cleaned/reapplied the CPU thermal compound, then it's past time to do so. 5 years is a long time to go. Thermal compound tends to 'dry out' and lose its effectiveness over time. You should probably remove the CPU heat sink, clean the old thermal grease from the CPU and from the base of the heat sink, and apply a new layer of some quality thermal snot. ArcticSilver is a quality brand of thermal goop and they have several different varieties, all of 'em are great. Just be sure to not use too much. While the CPU cooler is removed from the CPU, completely clean all the built up dust and debris by blowing it out with canned air or (preferably) an air compressor. Clean the fan blades (I use a paper towel moistened with Windex or 409) and the fan housing before applying the thermal poop and installing the cooler back on the CPU. If this doesn't lower your CPU temps by at least 15-20c then you might want to invest in a new cooler for your processor.
    :-D

(on the other hand, some CPUs just naturally run hotter than others, and they can handle it ;) )

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

CPUs a bit high for my liking but its well within Intels Tjmax for a P4 (without knowing the exact model coding name, Willamette, Northwood, Prescott etc) which is generally around 70c

What case you have and are all cables as tidy as possible?

If you have two case fans at back then both should really be blowing out, as one in and one out likely will cause dead airflow and cause hotzones, rule of thumb is air in at front or bottom and out at back or top.

Is there space in the front of the case to fit a fan?

What CPU fan is installed the default retail intel one (will have in most cases an intel label on the middle of fan), if you wish to lower temps then best bet is to either, take of the fan and heat sink and cleanup the CPU and heatsink surfaces and get some good quality thermal paste and reset CPU HeatSink and fan or get a new more powerful 3rd party cooler. Although if not used to replacing parts you may wish to just think anout this as taking off a CPU while easy for those used to it, can if not used to this process can damage the CPU or motherboard pins.... just a warning as I have no idea of your skills and its way too easy for someone to suggest doing this without a warning.

4. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I was mistaken, both fans at the back of the case blow outwards. Whew.

The computer was thrown together by a shop.
    The cables inside are incredibly neat and tidy.
    Yes, there's an Intel sticker on the CPU, I believe it's a Prescott from what I'm reading.
    No room for another fan.

I thank you for all the installation instructions, unfortunately that's beyond my comfort zone.

I'm hoping to buy a new computer once Windows 7 comes out and start fresh... just hope this one lasts until then, or if I decide not to go with a new computer for a while.

Thanks guys!

5. DavidGP

Hi Oooops

Your PC will last fine at 50c+ +/- its within the thermal zone and Prescotts are typically with Stock Fan at that temp at idle as they do run hot. Just keep doing what your doing now in keeping the fans clean etc, may just need to do this every quarter year depending on if case is in or on desk or no floor, if on floor they do tend to pick up dust more.

Is the room this PC in have a high-ish ambient temp? aslo is the PC case inside a desk enclosure space as that reduces airflow around the case thus rising them a tad.

When you go for new PC, see if you can get a case thats got a few extra spaces for fans and maybe a 3rd party HSF cooler thats known to work better than the stock ones, I hardly ever use the stock coolers and my CPU at idle now with room temp of 21.5c is 32c +/- 2c for varience. Could holler around the time and we can give you some pointers on what hardware as in case, HSF to look for or ask for in the build.

6. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

The room temperature pretty much stays around 23-24C.
    The case sits on top of a box, above the carpeted floor, in an open corner of the desk, slightly pulled out from the back and side of the desk. There's also a large hole for ventilation at the back of the desk. (There used to be an enclosure space but that was taken apart long ago to allow for more air flow).

Thanks!

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have 2 IBM 8090 series machines.P4 3.0GHz HT. Small Form Factor.
    Both quickly get to 135F-145F within 10 minutes after startup.Have seen over 158F while under F@H load.
    Normally running 24/7 with no problems.

8. DavidGP

Hi Ooops!

I think with what you have mentioned you have done as much as you can with the current hardware you haev to cool this PC as much as possible and limiting factor is likely the case is not a great one for maximising airflow, you can likely rectify this in your next PC buy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds