Norten Ghost '03 not Spanning CD's

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grease Stain, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Grease Stain

Grease Stain Private E-2

I want to backup my entire hard drive. Norten Ghost 2003 "Backup" instructions say it will automatically detect and ask for "spanning" target storage media (CD's in my case) if the source volume (C: & D:) exceeds the target media capacity (F: CD-drive on my PC). The Norten Ghost log file indicates that spanning is enabled (see attached). I shutdown running processes such as my spyware, IP, etc., the Norten "Backup" program begins, copies about 25% of hard drive and then crashes with no notice throughout the process that spanning of CD's is necessary or enabled. I think Ghost crashes when the target CD is full though there is no obvious notice of this. Symantec tech support apparently covers this issue with a promotion for upgraded software.

After more research and experimentation trashing four CD's on Norten , I tried the Windows Backup system. The instructions say it supports CD's. On startup of Windows Backup, the Wizard scans for allowable output media, automatically defaults to my A: and F: drives (both must be loaded) then crashes ("invalid file name" selected by Windows).

System Info attached.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds