Norton 360 vs. McAfee Site Advisor and WOT warnings

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamesfg, May 9, 2009.

1. jamesfg

jamesfg Private E-2

Hi,

I have Norton 360, McAfee Site Advisor, and WOT. When I am browsing on the internet, sometimes Norton 360 warns me that a site is dangerous while McAfee Site Advisor and WOT tell me that the site is safe. How best to proceed in such cases? Should I follow Norton 360's warning and avoid the site, or should I follow McAfee's and WOT's assessment that the site is safe (or vice versa)? Thank you very much.

2. jamesfg

jamesfg Private E-2

Thanks for your response and advice, DomLuc. Have a very Good one. :)

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi James,

I've read recently that Site Advisor (free version) has been as much as 12 months out-of-date.

There's no real way of telling if a site is safe. all the data these security apps use is historical to some extent. 1 week, 1 month ... (and some safe sites get reported by rival companies ... ).

I use Firefox and the LinkExtend Add-on, it uses data from all of the 3 you used and more; together with KeyScrambler, NoScript, AdblockPlus, etc., it covers most bases. But I often have to check on the rare occasion a site is flagged as bad, there are a lot of false positives.

Don't forget that there are 10's or 100's of new sites written every day - just to steal something from someone - they won't get listed for days, weeks, months, ...

Good luck.

PS. Remember, NONE of these apps can tell you if a site is safe - all they can tell you is that it was reported to be safe last time it was tested/visited ...

4. jamesfg

jamesfg Private E-2

Thanks a million, Satrow. I had mistakenly thought that the "site advisors" were more reliable than they actually are. Have a very good one...

jamesfg

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds