Norton antivirus 2003 autoprotect!!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dopey Opie, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Dopey Opie

Dopey Opie Private E-2

Help!!

I have Norton System works 2003 installed on a friends pc that won't auto protect or email scan.
    The pc was infected by anti-virus gold. Think we have removed that though.
    Have tried AVG scan and Spybot but nothing comes up. Could it still be infected ?
    Hope someone can help as this is driving me NUTS. :mad:

Here's the HJT log.

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

Please read and follow this before creating a HJT log. In addition, it should be attached to the post, not posted inline.

If you have a spyware issue, you are better served by checking out our spyware forum.

3. Dopey Opie

Dopey Opie Private E-2

ok will do.
    I am new to this so be gentle with me !!!!!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Roger that.

Don't worry, we don't bite...much ;)

Something else you need to keep in mind is that the age of your antivirus makes it largely ineffective. I know you want to find out why its not working, and I understand that. However, even if we can get it working, its not doing you any good.

5. Dopey Opie

Dopey Opie Private E-2

We are concerned because all was fine before AVGold infected the machine. The auto protect worked no probs. Now it's a no go. Want to be sure nothing is lurking in the depths waiting to bite us again !!!! The owner has also just paid subs to symantec so is quite p****d off.
    I myself don't use Norton as it has missed things in the past that others pick up no problem.

6. Dopey Opie

Dopey Opie Private E-2

I have taken the steps as detailed in the links provided by Adrynalyne. The pc is as clean as can be detected at this time but the Norton AV still won't auto-protect. I agree that even with the regular updates the 2003 AV is not as effective as newer software but the issue of my friend paying for his subs means I am requested to find a solution. Not had this degree of trouble in the past. Can anyone help ? I can provide a HJT log if required. Thanks in advance. ;)

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. Dopey Opie

Dopey Opie Private E-2

just had a power out and won't reboot. :( :rolleyes:
    will sort out boot up problem and try your suggestion.
    hope to get back to you soon
    cheers

9. Dopey Opie

Dopey Opie Private E-2

After recovering from the inability to re-boot, :rolleyes: i downloaded the norton uninstall fix,
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

Norton AV was removed using add/remove and the pc re-booted. The file downloaded was then run and the fragments left behind by the normal uninstaller were removed. Re-start the pc and install NAV 2003 and up-date. All running ok.

Thanks for the advice. :) :) :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds