Norton AntiVirus Updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by trader2112, May 21, 2010.

1. trader2112

trader2112 Private E-2

NAV updates is listed as a hot item on Major Geeks so I thought I should bring this to someones attention.
    Has anyone heard of the problems with NAV updates this month?
    I downloaded an update on 5-15 and keep getting an error message when trying to run a scan, (can't complete scan..critical error occured) error code 3019,1.
    So I waited for other updates to come out and tryed 5-17 and 5-21 with the same result. I did all the system checks I could think of with no resolution.
    I searched around and it 'seems' Symantec may have stopped support for pre-2007 products.
    If anyone has any other info on this I would appreciate it.

2. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

This is a personal opinion as I am quite happy with the product, get the Norton removal tool clean it off your system then down load Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a full protection suite and free, I have been running it since Jan it has performed flawlessly and has improved the speed on all three of my machines. Almost all AV's slow our systems down quite a bit not MSE.

Phil

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try grabbing the manual update from HERE for your Norton product, by the way what version do you have?

What Windows version?

But I would imagine this falls into your catagory HERE , its a post from an employee of Symantec on this issue.

I agree with Oldphil in MSE is a good app and has been getting good reviews, I run it on my laptops and netbook

4. trader2112

trader2112 Private E-2

Thanx Halo for posting those links, Symantec has added more info on the subject today.
    I'm running XP w/2Ghz AMD, and have Norton AntiVirus and Firewall 2003 installed. They have been running flawlessly for years and I have that firewall tweaked just rite.

Ever since I ran those latest updates from Symantec the AV has not been able to scan and Auto Protect has quit working also. The XP event log is getting loaded up with error messages about the NAVENG failing to load. I read their explanation about my PC not having enough kernel memory to handle the new updates and tried running the AV in safe mode with the same result. I did try downloading the update from 5-5-10 and deleting the newer updates (which needs to be done in safe mode to have access) and everything went back to working fine.

I would just delete Norton AntiVirus and get another but I really like the firewall because it has always worked just great with no problems and it takes a while to configure one properly. I've read that Symantec programs develop problems when deleting only part of the programs installed on a computer which complicates matters more.

In the article they do eventually admit that older Norton products will become disabled if they are updated which is IMO a poor way of (not) announcing an end of product support.

5. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Thanks for the heads up Halo. I have NAV2003 as well and was about to update my defs to the latest one.

Cheers

6. parleyp

parleyp Private E-2

Have you been paying for the updates? Since you are running a 7 year old product, I am betting you aren't and if you aren't paying for updates, you might want to consider MS Security Essentials or PC Tools. PC tools has an excellent free firewall and av product.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  7. trader2112

trader2112 Private E-2

I have a desktop that runs NAV2003 that I have been getting updates for but also have a paid subscription for my laptop! No response from Symantec support yet.

I was trying to warn people of the impending result of the next update they may perform as many computers are equipped with this software as OEM and many users may not know what to do in response!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds