Norton Eraser system restore won't work; equals blue screen; farbar fix?

Discussion in 'Software' started by author.uk, Jul 27, 2012.

1. author.uk

author.uk Private E-2

Hi There, so it turns out I'm a total idiot....

My desktop uses Windows Vista Home Premium 2007 and it was bought complete from this company: music-pc.com - they optimise pcs for music production.

I had a backdoor.tidserv!/kmem (something like that) virus and I used norton 360 to find what the virus was, but then it said it needed a manual fix and i would need norton power eraser for this. I ran it and it found some files.....
    I believe one was call PCAudio.dll (can't remember 100% if it was actually a dll file) and it was called a rootkey or rootkit type of file.

I thoughtlessly erased it and restarted my computer. However on restart I found that I blue screen whenever I actually boot properly. NIGHTMARE!
    I'm guessing that what I deleted was actually a key registry file for the whole computer or maybe a part of an important driver (?)

I was hoping that this might be ok as norton eraser uses a system restore function, however when I tried system restore booting from the windows installer cd nothing changed; I still blue screen as windows loads.

I then read my documentation that comes with my music-pc (music-pc.com) and it says that I shouldn't boot with the windows cd that they provided as it will "remove all music optimisation, windows updates, hardware drivers and support warranty". DANG

Thankfully they said they will hopefully be able to send me an installation cd for this but I may have to wait a week or so. They have been really friendly but I wonder whether I might need to reformat the whole pc with this solution.....

I was wondering whether I might have a shot at getting back to before all of this trouble if I use a farbar/ combofix solution. It would be very difficult to get my computer back to how it was from a full reformat though I have now backed up everything via safe mode.

I don't care if I have the backdoor virus as long as my computer and music programs work (i work 99% offline, I just want updates now and then).

The backdoor virus seemed to be stopping windows updates which was what I was initially after, though a fix for this as well would be great, I just want my pc working first.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Here is my computer spec should I need to go and hunt for some hardware drivers now......(though I'm not even sure I would have any hardware drivers, everything i have is in the box so to speak..)

1*Antec P183 Advanced Mid Tower Case (MILL1003A)
    1*Antec Truepower TP-550W PSU (MILLQPC480T)
    1*Millennium build setup test and config (MILL0000)
    1*Asus P5QD Turbo (MILL1017A)
    1*Quad core q8400 2.66ghz 4mb (MILL9227C)
    1*Scythe Ninja II 12cm Heatpipe Cooler (MILLQPCNINJA)
    2*1GIG DDR2 1066 (MILL5103)
    2*1GIG DDR2 1066 (MILL5103)
    1*Nvidia EN9400GT HTD Silent 512MB (MILL4108)
    1*250GB Serial ATA 7200RPM 8MB Cache (MILL3080C)
    1*500GB Serial ATA 7200RPM 16MB Cache (MILL3300F)
    1*DVD-RW Dual Layer DVD-+R 18x (NECDVDRW16X)
    1*WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM 32BIT (MILL6015VISP)
    1*Dual Boot setup (MILL0000A)
    1*IK SampleTank II LE & OmniSynth GM OFFER (IKZ003GMOEM)

Thanks again!

tell me if you need me to clarify anything. I know how to run farbar btw and have used it to good effect previously on my laptop. I just wanted to know what you think before I go ruining any more stuff!

this is what led me to the site a similar issue i think: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=255959

*one last thing my computer boots differently to my laptop, so if i were to use farbar I can't just press f8 to get to the system repair/restore menu....would I press f10 instead, or would i chuck the windows cd in again?

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I am moving this thread to software. You can return for malware removal once you are up and running again. :)

3. author.uk

author.uk Private E-2

Thanks Kestrel!

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

It is very difficult to suggest something when we don't know what that nortonware actually did.

The best would be if you restore from backup to a time before your system got infected, then be really careful not to get infected any more.

5. author.uk

author.uk Private E-2

I have no other restore points. I've backed up all my files now through safe mode though so I'm beginning to think I should just go and reformat the whole thing.........

If I ran farbar and posted the script would that not explain more to you about what's wrong that I can?

sorry about this I'm aware it's not super useful...

6. author.uk

author.uk Private E-2

after looking online and searching for file I am 99% sure it was a system32 file called PCAudio.dll

This is the file that norton power eraser removed causing constant blue screens. Using the system restore point before this did not stop the blue screen though.

7. author.uk

author.uk Private E-2

I have just scanned my pc with farbar. Please see attached script>>

Attached Files:

8. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Hello author.uk,

Try this fixlist.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Attached is fixlist.txt
    • Save fixlist.txt to your flash drive.
    • You should now have both fixlist.txt and FRST.exe on your flash drive.

Now re-enter System Recovery Options.
    Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
    The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt).
    Please attach this to your next message. (How to attach)

Now attempt to boot normally.

Attached Files:

9. thisisu

Code:
    2012-07-30 05:19 - 2012-07-30 05:19 - 268435456 __ASH C:\Windows\System32\temppf.sys
    Temporary pagefile in use. Hopefully not the cause of additional BSODs.

10. author.uk

author.uk Private E-2

Thisisu,

the fix was so quick i thought it must have not worked.......BUT IT DOES!!!!!

I'm kind of of shaking right now because I thought i'd lost everything.......can't believe it

I'm so grateful, thank you so much. Obviously i'm going to give it a few checks tonight just to make sure. What a fantastic start to the week.

it looks like windows updates appear to be more responsive also....can i go ahead? that's what i wanted to do in the first place.

11. thisisu

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that worked.

Yes you can do Windows Update if you want.

12. author.uk

author.uk Private E-2

I can't work out how to PM you but I hope I can offer you something for your trouble. I work at a record label so could probably sort you out with some music. I'm sure you can work out my email with your ninja computer skills!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds