Norton Expiring-Options

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jud149, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I'm running Windows '98 and currently have Norton 2004 Internet Security. This expires in a few days and I'm not planning on renewing it as it is a pita. I also am now running AVG free version. My questions are: 1) should I delete Norton or leave it in my system, and 2) is the AVG freebee enough for anti-virus protection, and 3) would I just want one firewall to replace Norton's or should I have more than one. Much thanks.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.

3. womfalcs7

womfalcs7 Private First Class

I definitely recommend that you uninstall it if you can't continue on updating it anymore. NIS (which is what I assume you're using) uses up a lot of resources so mind as well do away with it. AVG is good enough and that's what I use now, and the only firewall I currently use is the Windows' (XP SP2) one. Since you're using 98, I'd recommend using Zone Alarm for a firewall and one should be enough. I've been on one for the past 8 months and I haven't had one single glitch.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

1. delete it
    2. AVG is good. By the way, you should only be running one antivirus application. Two different antivirus apps will cause system conflicts.
    3. One software firewall is enough, for the same reason as above.

5. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Word of caution: As a user with NIS watch when you add/remove this program- NIS has a way of burying itself in your registry beyond the simple Symantec removal steps. Let me know if you need any assistance.

wiredwoman_@hotmail.com

6. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

I just went through exactly the same problem yesterday and uninstalled NIS 2005. After going through the add/remove feature, and then following Symantec instructions, I still had to go through the registry and take out Symantec which was buried deep inside my system.
    Before you install any other AV make sure Symantec has left your system.

7. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

Windows firewall isnt a true firewall. You should use Zone Alarm Free or Sygate Personal Firewall Free.

1. Yes you should.
    2. I would also recommend trying Avast! Home Edition which provides good protection.
    3. You should use either use Zone Alarm Free or Sygate Personal Firewall Free as your firewall.

controlmind

8. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

what does NIS stand for?

9. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

Norton Internet Security

controlmind

10. ANHEDONIC

ANHEDONIC Will Title For Food

thank you!... i keep seeing those initials and was thinking it was something complex and way over my head...

11. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

Your Welcome :) I used to think the same way about NIS.

controlmind

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds