Norton: finds virus' but does nothing with them and keeps shutting down

Discussion in 'Software' started by mysticscooby, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

Hi! I am having two problems with Norton Antivirus 2005 and can't figure it out. I have been through their help and have found nothing to help so hoping maybe someone can here...

Problem 1: When I run Norton, it runs, shows how many problems it finds, then does nothing with them.

Problem 2: When I set it up to do a system scan rather then scanning folder by folder, it restarts the computer.

Can someone help? Please? Driving my nuts!!!!

2. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Is this a recent install or trial version?

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Problem one: Is norton updated within Liveupdate. If so, then you may need to visit the Spyware forums after reading:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=38752

Problem Two: This could be a memory issue.

Quick question. What OS are you running? 98, ME, 2k, XP, etc.... Fully patched? With all service packs?

4. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

Problem one: did this, read this... still lost... sorry!!! Didn't see anything about acez there either... oh and yes, norton updates with live update....

Problem two: Windows xp, fully patched i think with windows sp 1 and 2. Has there been another?

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

In Options (I think), is Norton set to automatically try to repair or quarantine any suspect files.

It's the default (recommended) setting.

And no, SP2 is the latest, as well as the constant individual critical patches.

6. Well maybe by some chance norton is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled. Personally i dont like norton because ive heard of nothing but problems with it. I use avast4 home and have no problems and it does a good job on protecting as well. But anyway, try reinstalling norton or try a repair if it is available. I know some programs have a repair option which will basically automatically reinstall the program leaving the personal settings untouched. If that does not work try wiping the program completely and installing it again.
    -the new tech guy

7. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

Oh, it's been several months since I installed it. It worked at one time, I am not sure when it stopped fixing things, started shutting down however about a week ago.

8. well reinstall it and is that the only time is restarts. When you run antivirus or is it totally random times. I would reinstall norton then clean dust out of your cooling vent with a vacumn to get more air in and out of the computer. If you comfortable doing it i would suggest openin her up and sucking out the cpu and all other components as well. That should solve the restart and reinstall norton.
    -the new tech guy

9. mysticscooby

mysticscooby Private E-2

I've dedusted it before, it drives me nuts. Hee hee..... I'll try it and let you know... thanks

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I certainly hope you don't mean a household vacuum cleaner, unless you want to fry your electronics from the static.

I also fail to see how dust can affect just one program?

11. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

mysticscooby

I have posted in your thread in the Spyware forum. You have many issues that needs to be addressed before anything else is done to your computer. These problems will slow your computer down and can cause other problems.

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have locked this tread as BJ is dealing with the spyware/virii issues in the spyware forum first as they may well be the cause of the problems and with the chance of too many "strange ideas" being posted and confusing the OP, it is wise to make sure that infestation is not the root cause before troubleshooting a software issue.

if it is deemed to be software a new post can be made once the PC is given a spyware/virii all clear.

mysticscooby ~ please follow and complete all the advice given in your spyware thread http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76486

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds