Norton internet security scanning?

Discussion in 'Software' started by doubledowntowin, Mar 2, 2006.

1. doubledowntowin

doubledowntowin Private E-2

When I installed Norton internet security a few weeks ago on my computer, anytime that I would right click on an icon or folder and selected Scan with norton antivirus it would scan all files in that folder and give a number of files scanned. Now whenever I do that it acts as if it is scanning, then when it completes it says number of files scanned=0. And then when I was online with tech support the tech walked me through to this step http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2004010716361106 I first explained that I am running norton internet security 2006 and they assured me that this is the correct file to download. Then I was disconnected from chat to be left on my own to download this update which i think is not for windows XP. It changed the appearance of the script on all of my computer programs. They all appear slightly blurry. However what I am trying to do here is get norton to show that it is scanning files instead of acting as if it is and then saying 0. If you look at the link above it clearly says that it is for 2004 2005 norton antuvirus. I have Norton internet security 2006. Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

That procedure should work with Norton Internet Security 2006.

Either Windows Scripting needs to be reinstalled or you need to remove any Internet Explorer plugins you may have installed. Reinstalling SP2 may fix the problem or you may have to uninstall NIS and install it again.

3. doubledowntowin

Sorry I am a novice at this computer thing....any detailed help? Outside of uninstalling and reinstalling NIS. (I can bug norton about this) Thanks.

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The article the Norton Tech linked you to, should resolve the issue with NIS. It's a scripting problem and reinstalling Windows Scripting should resolve the problem. If it doesn't then you need to uninstall whatever IE plugins you have installed. I don't know what is installed on your computer.

You may have to completely uninstall NIS 2006 and reinstall or you may have to reinstall SP2 for XP. Norton has given you all the assistance you are going to get from them, on this issue. Norton will tell you it's a Microsoft problem; and Microsoft will tell you it's a Norton problem. Either way Norton isn't working correctly and the procedures the Tech gave you should work. If not you may need to resort to uninstalling and reinstalling Norton.

Is your Windows completely up-to-date? If not, visit Microsoft Update and bring your Operating System Up2Date.

5. doubledowntowin

This may be a silly question but is norton actually scanning something and just saying 0 scanned. Or is it really not scanning anything? Thanks for your help.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I don't know enough about that particular problem, to say with any certainty. From what I have read, I would have to say No. Norton isn't actually scanning any files, it just looks like Norton is scanning.

The last step in that article is to reinstall Explorer, the directions for XP are for SP1 and earlier. If your sytem has SP2 installed then you will have to reinstall SP2.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds