Norton vs. McAfee vs. ZoneAlarm vs. whatever

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoCowboys, Mar 20, 2005.

1. GoCowboys

GoCowboys Private E-2

I did have McAfee, but then switched to Norton ... I'm thinking about switching back.

Which internet security program do y'all use? Which do you think is the best one?

2. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

I've always preferred Norton AV over McAfee, I bought a Gateway with McAfee and got a virus, so I swapped to Norton's and liked it better anyway. I have been using that for 5 years or so and have had a few little trojans, but it always caught the virus. But since using MG, I have switched to avast!, found here >>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1968.html <<<. I like it much better than either. You are questioning about a firewall as well, I recommend Sygate found here >>> http://majorgeeks.com/download3356.html <<<. Both of these are found here >>> http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525 <<< I used ZoneAlarm for years too and it is a good firewall as well, I just like Sygate better as a personal preference. After you install both and update, I would recommend doing this >>> http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 <<< if you have been on the net and are not sure of yourself as far as protecting your PC. ;) :cool:

3. RwsRichard

RwsRichard Private E-2

I think this is going to be a try, test and preference answer.

For over 5 years I was was a FIRM believer in Norton. I bought the newest version everytime it came out; checked for new virus detection files DAILY. I also let it run in the back ground.

But for over 5 five years I would get trojans, virus's, etc.. and I would have to reformat and reinstall Windows and all my applications at least 3 times a year!!

One day AOL offered McAfee free for all it's customer's. So I dl'd that and for over a year now, I have not had one trojan, virus or related problem. McAfee does display little popups informing me that it has BLOCKED a trojan, virus, etc.. This is somethaing that Norton NEVER EVER did for me.

I am also using Windows XP Pro with SP2 and all subsequent updates. I let it handle the firewall and all the protection it provides.

To help stop popups and unwanted sites from filtering into my system, I am also using IE's built in popup/domain/site blocker.

Good luck in your quest,
    RwsRichard

4. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

People can piss up a wall all day about McAfee and Norton, but they both cost money and both can be compromised. Avast! is free and is said to outperform both by the pro's. Windows firewall is better than nothing at best. Both Sygate or ZoneAlarm are far superior firewalls. Also you need other tools to fight the malwares with success. It is ongoing and constantly changing and is here to stay it seems, so all we can do is fight and learn and hope to stay on top of it, ;) and I learn quick.

5. GoCowboys

GoCowboys Private E-2

What about other software, like spyware programs, etc.? Which programs do y'all use?

I have these programs running:

Spybot S&D (free)
    Spyware Blaster (free)
    Ad-aware SE
    Trojan Hunter

Do you think I need anything else? ;)

6. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

It all depends on what you have for malware infection, if any. Are you having any problems or just checking around? If you're having problems with your PC, I strongly suggest following the steps in this thread >>> http://forum.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407 <<<. If you're just curious, I suggest Avast! for your AV, Sygate or Zonealarm for a FW, AdawareSE, Spybot S&D, and Microsoft Anti-Spyware and if you can spend a few bucks, Webroot Spysweeper for the malware. I also run Winpatrol and Where's James Startup Manager as additional monitors. There are also a couple of online virus scans you can run from the link that help if you want to feel real sure. Whatever you choose, be sure to uninstall previous programs before installing new ones in the case of AV and firewalls and be sure you only run one of each, ie:eek:nly one Anti-virus and only 1 firewall. The others will all work together OK. If you do have an infection, the boys in the spyware forums will instruct you as to any other tools you need to get rid of a particular nasty as you are running through the removal steps. :cool:

7. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

An additional note, I'm not sure yet, gonna look, but I've heard somewhere in here that Trojan Hunter might not be a good program. Don't quote me on this yet as I need to reference it, but I think that one is on the rogue/suspect list.

8. RayDunne

RayDunne Corporal

Well, La Ti Daa! That's all well and good if you're a wealthy IT pro. Most of us are just average joes who can't afford tech's to come clean our systems and install expensive programs for us and then teach us how to use them all. :eek: I haven't had to revisit the spyware forums since I have been using what I have. And it's all free except SpySweeper :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds