Not a Valid Win32 application

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brendy59, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

I've spent the last two days trying to figure out whats going on. I have Windows 7 Premium, 64 bit system and removed the CA Total Defense Anti-Virus program because it wouldn't allow my email to load into Thunderbird. Plus it seemed to be causing problems on my system from the beginning (about 2 mos). I wanted to go back to the Microsoft Security Essentials and when I tried I got the message;

mseinstall.exe is not a valid Win 32 application

I also removed a program called My paint because I couldn't get some brushes to load into the program. I tried to reinstall the proggie thinking maybe it had just been corrupted. But I get a similar error message;

mypaint-1.0.0_win64_installer.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

I have managed to Avast Free anti-virus installed and ran a full virus scan which came up clean. I also ran Malwarebytes that cleaned out some garbage, and I also ran my Super AntiSpyware which also cleaned up a few things.

At this point I'm at a loss and wondering if there could be a hidden Trojan or possible the registry is messed up from whatever was on the system. Can you please advise? I need to get the My Paint program back on because it's used on a regular basis. But I also don't want to be just limping along waiting for other issues to crop up.

Thanx for any help,
    Bren :)

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

This is an error typically found with a corrupted dfile from a download, however it sounds like you were infected at one point. Be sure you do FULL scans and not basic with Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. Clean your junk files with CCleaner.

If no luck maybe Windows Repair can restore a busted setting. Removing malware does not always fix something that was broken in Windows from that infection.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Tweaking.com_-_Windows_Repair_d7141.html

3. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

Yes I ran full complete scans. As you said I probably did have something. I'm not sure what you mean about cleaning junk files with CCleaner. I do run CCleaner on occasion. I will do that and also check the link you've provided. Thanx for your help. :)

Bren

4. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

I've gone back thru and ran full complete scans with the Malwarebytes, Super Anti-spyware, Avast Virus, and CCleaner. And finally the full #3 option of the Tweaking program just to be sure all bases were covered.

Now My Win7 Action Ctr keeps popping up telling me I need and Anti-Virus program, but I have it on here. Also tried to install the My paint program again and still getting the invalid Win 32 application error.

Any other ideas?

Bren:)

5. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

6. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

The download size of mypaint-1.0.0_win64_installer.exe is 9.17 MB = 9,399 KB = 9,623,941 bytes.

The download size of mseinstall.exe (64-bit) is 9.69 MB = 9,928 KB = 10,165,440 bytes.

If your downloads are different, then the downloads are not complete.

8. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

For whatever reason it's not downloading the full program.

This is what the properties are showing for My Paint.

Size 44.0 KB (45,136 bytes)

Size on disk 48.0 KB (49,152 bytes)

I'm also now having a problem when trying to open a zip file. I get invalid file. I guess it's time to call in the big guns. Thanx for your efforts :)

9. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You seem to have difficulties to get your downloads to complete; this may indicate some Internet connection instability. Sorry, I do not know how to diagnose these.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

12. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

I get this when I try to download from that link.

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
    <Error><Code>OutOfRangeInput</Code><Message>One of the request inputs is out of range.
    RequestId:b11e4b10-815a-4dee-8e12-1c5663d6aadc
    Time:2012-04-13T15:47:00.6326933Z</Message></Error>

13. plodr

14. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

15. _nullptr

• Right click on Autoruns.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    • As it begins to run, hit the Esc key to stop it.
    • Select from the menu Options > Filter Options, put a check mark in 'Verify code signatures' and uncheck the other boxes.
    • Press the F5 key to refresh and allow Autoruns to run to completion.
    • Go to File > Save and save Autoruns.arn to somewhere convenient like your Documents folder.
    • Zip the Autoruns.arn file and attach to your next post.
    Have you also run the System File Checker as suggested by plodr in post #10? If not, try running that prior to running Autoruns.

16. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

Ok, I did the file checker and it shows errors and have also run the auto run. I've attached a screen shot of the file checker and the zip for Autorun.

Thanx,
    Bren:)

Attached Files:

17. plodr

Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files.
    Go here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
    and scroll to option three. This explains how to see what is corrupt in the CBS.log and then manually replace those items.

If it were me, rather than doing the above which seems tedious, I'd try a system restore first. If the computer still seems like it is having problems, I'd use one of my images. If you don't have an image, then the best you can do is do the factory restore/recovery and lose all the updates, programs installed, and files from the time you've had the computer.

18. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

Uggg looks like it's the redious route because there was a Trojan that fouled everything up to start with and of course I don't have a mirror but you can bet I will from here on in. Thanx for your time :)

Bren

19. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

I'm confused with this sfc details....

Is it the ones towards the bottom that say could not repair that I need to replace? Sorry to be a pain but I'm far from being a Computer Tech.

I'm following the instructions from the Sevens Forum but some of this is really over my head. I have no choice but to push on ahead. Thanx for you help.

I'm on step 11 where I need to navigate to the System32 folder and unsure what I need to do here.

Bren

Attached Files:

20. _nullptr

The Autoruns log is showing some leftover drivers from McAfee.

mfebopk Buffer Overflow Protection Driver (Verified) McAfee, Inc. c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfebopk.sys
    mferkdk VSCore Code Analysis Driver (Verified) McAfee, Inc. c:\windows\system32\drivers\mferkdk.sys
    mfesmfk System Monitor Filter Driver (Verified) McAfee, Inc. c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfesmfk.sys

Download the attached zip file to somewhere convenient, extract the Regfix.reg and double click on it. Answer yes to the UAC prompt and allow it to merge with the registry.
    Left me know if you get a success message. Reboot the computer if successful to unload the drivers.

I'll have a look at your SFC log a bit later. :)

Attached Files:

21. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

Thanx Null,

I was feeling a bit desperate and found a program called Reimage and paid about $34 for it. I don't know for sure yet but it claims to have fixed over 80 files and registry entries. So I'm in the process of trying things at the moment.

Here is the link if you'd like to offer your opinion on it.
    http://www.reimageplus.com/lp/nhome...adgroup=direct&ads_name=direct&keyword=direct

If it hasn't corrected my problems I will take the steps you've suggested here. Thanx for your time. It's greatly appreciated.

22. _nullptr

23. _nullptr

Your sfc log is showing only a couple of corrupted system files. Those files can be checked by downloading SystemLook (x64)

It's a standalone application that requires no installation, so just create a directory for it.
    Right click and Run as administrator, Copy/Paste the content in the code box into SystemLook then click 'Look'.
    It will create and open a log file in the directory from which it's run, when it's finished.
    Just attach the log file and I'll check the file hashes.
    Code:
    :filefind
    tcpmon.ini
    msvcrt40.dll

24. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

I don't know if I made things better or worse with the Reimage program but here is a new sfc log I ran after the changes that Reimage made to my system.

Bren

Attached Files:

25. Brendy59

Brendy59 Private E-2

I'm unable to run this program because I get that same error message about invalid Win 32 application.

Bren

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds