Not Bad For Beta Software

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DOA, Jan 19, 2017.

1. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

AWESOME!!!!
    DOA. please post some pics of it, I would love to see and a bit of a review of what you think of the latest Tesla?

Me I decided and awaiting a Abarth 595 should be here next week or soon, was a custom build so takes some time sadly.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

DOA, what was the official cause of the accident?

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Official cause was driver error, he failed to apply the brakes.
    Tesla is taking this seriously and I have seen white sheets on poles across their test track. I assume they are seeing if the radar can figure this out or if they need more camera input.
    First long trip today, will report on the Tesla later on.

Attached Files:

Eldon likes this.
  5. ragmacaron

ragmacaron Private E-2

Wow, that's great. what's your review?

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

The Tesla P100D is a niche car, an extreme performance 4 door sedan.
    I live where chargers abound so no "range anxiety" after the first few days.
    The BMW M5 seems closest. Ride is firm and well controlled, tires grip like no tomorrow then break into a graceful drift with plenty of warning. Driving near the limits of the car is a mind altering experience. And yet, Wifey is quite comfortable with driving the Tesla sedately.
    The car is as quiet and as easy to drive as Wifey's Camry. Actually, the Camry seems noisy after a ride in the Tesla.

Two things the Tesla teaches you in a hurry.
    One is that you are in total, instant command. Make any command and there is no delay, no pause. This takes getting used to. That one second delay when you press the accelerator to pass (turbo lag and/or downshift) is ingrained and needs to be un-learned.
    Two is regenerative braking, which is where the 98MPG equivalent is gained, You drive mostly with one foot. The throttle has a neutral point where you coast like a regular car with an automatic. Lift more and the TESLA slows as speed is changed to electricity, press down and electricity changes to speed. The brake pedal is only used for full stops and mistakes. As skill is developed with the speed/electricity pedal you start wondering why cars changed. Cars with large motors and stick shifts had acceleration and deceleration with one pedal, then came the sloppy automatics we all have now.

I could go on for hours, the car is a technology dream. Hit the button and say "play Van Halen Jump" 3 seconds later its playing. The navigation system is a bit chatty, giving more directions than necessary, but has not failed to understand me. The summon, self parking and autopilot you can look up elsewhere, they all work amazingly well. Adaptive cruise control should be mandatory on all cars.

Lastly, the Tesla is safe. Crumple zones and air bags all over, Add in superlative handling and a warning system that can see things I cannot. I got a beep to slow when I was behind a semi. I took my foot off the accelerator, got my foot over the brake and the car slowed while I glanced at the screen. The radar detected a car suddenly braking ahead of the semi (indicated by the car turning red). I could not see it due to the semi, but the radar bounce under the semi saw the car slowing quickly and told me about it. As I looked back up the semi locked up 18 wheels. I had plenty of room to slow down due to the early warning, but the tire smoke was highly irritating. Bio mode to the rescue!

the mekanic and joffa like this.
  7. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Great review DOA and I am quite envious :cool:
    I would like a Tesla but over here everything is quite a drive often through empty countryside to get anywhere and with few charging stations it isn't feasible unless you only want to hang around the capital cities :(
    Enjoy your new car and I hope you post another review after 6 or 12 months ownership to see if you are still happy with the car ;)

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds