Not Good Idea To Run Chkdsk On Solid State Drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, Aug 3, 2016.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit SP1
    Laptop: ASUS K52F

My disk drive was going bad so I had it replaced several weeks ago with a solid state drive. Now the laptop is incredibly fast. Today I decided to run chkdsk for no particular reason other than I periodically ran this in the past on my old drive and did not think that it might not work with the SSD. Oops - now the laptop would not boot at all!! I pressed F8 on boot and tried to boot into safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, or safe mode with networking. Failure - the laptop would not boot - only got a blank screen. I let the laptop sit for several minutes with each of the boot options but there was no action on the screen, just blank. Then I tried booting to the last known configuration and this worked!! I tried several boots and all appears to be okay.

Two questions please:
    (1) Am I correct that one can NOT run chkdsk on a solid state drive? If not, why not? What do I not understand?
    (2) How do I cancel a request for chkdsk? IF I execute CHKDSK C: /F /R, is there a way to cancel this when I reboot? Or was what I did, booting to the last known good configuration, the correct solution to my booting problem?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There are conflicting opinions about running windows Chkdsk on an SSD. An internet search shows that conflict.
    What is true though is that SSDs are much more resilient and self maintaining in the short/medium term than conventional HDs so unless a system is experiencing real problems best not to run Chkdsk as any kind of routine.
    The other factor is that SSDs are still very new, and little information is yet available to compare their longevity and resilience compared to conventional drives that have a proven history, so probably not a good idea to use an SSD for data storage. The benefits of an SSD are for the OS itself and software programs in terms of speed.
    Better to save all other data on a conventional internal or external data drive.
    As far as cancelling a Chkdsk, I am only aware it can be done with a scheduled scan, not one in progress:
    See this link and the qualifications it makes about its age:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/158675

3. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Thank you for the information.
    However this does not answer the question about why my laptop froze and would not boot when I tried to run chkdsk on the SSD. Any thoughts on that????????????

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No idea. Every system is unique. But you say that problem was resolved when you used a prior restore point (last known good config). If that worked then that's the end of that issue, at least for the time being.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

I followed the directions in the above link. There were NO chkdsk logs in the event viewer. Apparently chkdsk never ran on my SSD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds