Not Pleased with Nvidia

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Adrynalyne, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Does anyone have a definitive answer on whether thermal protection still exists under Vista for Nvidia cards, seeing how they have removed support for GPU temperature monitoring from the drivers? Does anyone know of a replacement to monitor it? Not interested in Speedfan, and all the others I have tried, required driver support to read it.

Yes I know nTune does it now, and no, nTune does not work for me. Not even a point to troubleshoot, its an nvidia issue.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=39158

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Everest Ultimate works with Nvidia GPU diode, but I have got nTune working ok ( older version 5.05.18.00 tho ), not perfect but card temp matches Everests figure, but all other options are none working so no OCing.

Nvidia drivers and options in Vista..... suck!! I dont know what they were thinking! slowly getting better but still.........

I read in specs that shutdown on the 8800 series is 125c and normal temps are 70-90c hotty cards, cannot remember which card you have Adryn.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

7800GTX. Im trying to determine if the artifacts in game are heat related or driver quality related.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, using Everest I find my card is hitting upper 90s....

Good grief, so many fans, and still I have cooling problems with this card...

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

It works fine for me though some motherboard options are not available. It also reads my mobo as an A8N-SLIR as it should be a "-E", but the temps are the same as in Everest at 49C and a touch test confirmed it.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Riva Tuner 2.02 works pefectly with Vista http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=737 Hardware monitor is giving me a GPU temp +/-1c over what Everest reports.

Everyother manufaturer of hardware have thermal conciderations of products, Nvidia is like wading through treacle to get what you need, only bit on Max Temp for a 7800GTX I founds was hearsay at 110c

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Problem is, artifacting starts at 90c.

Rivatuner doesnt work for me either. The info is greyed. Same with Hmonitor.

Everest did, though.

Ive an idea the problem, but have no clue how to remedy it, aside from spending money, that I dont really have right now.

The fan isnt ramping up correctly. Even when it hit 95c--the fan was still only running at 70%. Vista sleep only exacerbates the issue. I woke up the machine, started the game and the machine croaked after severe artifacting. The fan never ramped up the entire time, and stayed at 40% speed.

So--I had this issue with Oblivion--and I had to stop playing altogether. So I was playing WoW, and the temps never exceeded high 80s, so I forgot about it.

I have a lifetime warranty on this card...but the card works. The fan spins without grinding. Games do work--sort of.

How can I prove that the fan is the culprit to honor a warranty? I can't. nTune locks up my machine--as well as other people with my motherboard. So my options now are buy a cooling system, or another video card.

/sigh

8. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

90c !! my volt modded 7900gts don't even hit that rolleyes. Can you post a pic or link to a pic of the card?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

10. ACE 256

Overclocked? How are case fans setup around it ? Do you run your system with the case open? With that heatsink setup i would think it would be rather hard to make a better cooler for it. Seeing as my mom just lost the video card in the family system due to heat id recommend under clocking it if you can get the heat down by other means.

11. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

what about one of those little PCI port aux fans mounted right below the vid card? would that help out?

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My fans are as follows:

1. 120mm fan sucking air in through the front, bottom.
    1. 90mm fan sucking air in at the top.
    1. 90mm fan sucking air out at the back top.
    1. 120 mm fan sucking air out at the back, in the middle or so.
    2 80mm fans blowing air in on the side, one positioned above the CPU, and one positioned below it, centering over the motherboard chipset and half of the video card.

All cables tucked away so as to not interfere.

http://thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/armor_extreme_edition/va8004bns.asp

This case is basically the same. The fans on the side were put in by me--so this case has actually been updated.

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ive tried them--if anything, it raised the temperature :/ I tried an Antec one.

14. ACE 256

Have you tried running the side of the case off to see if that helps temps? Might even go as far as putting a window fan blowing in to the open side of the case :D (not to close to the case, the magnetic fields can induce instability...somehow...)

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have in the past and didnt get an appreciable result. Not more than 2-3c.

This is a really bizzare issue. I only need to save about 10c--the card runs normally at 83c under load. The card being factory overclocked, and the 7800gtx being a super hot card anyway....

Those 80mm fans are for cooling the already hot motherboard, by the way. They never affected the video card, postively or negatively.

16. ACE 256

Well in that case underclocking it is the only real option. If it doesn't make the card run cooler it will at least make it stable at the higher temps.

17. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

the only suggestion I can come up with is face the one 90mm fan on the top out instead of in. that way you get more air flow across the center of the case. and can you ramp up the 120mm fan in the front? maybe blowing more air in might help

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Which leads me to a new dilemna. What do I use, under Vista? nTune locks my system solid. Seems to be some sort of motherboard incompatibility, per the thread in the first post.

19. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'd have to replace the 120mm, its slow speed, only like 1200rpm to make it silent.

As for the top, I'll have to check, I thought it was blowing in, but then there is no filter on it so...maybe its blowing out already. I'll check when I get home.

20. ACE 256

ATI tool ? Riva tuner?

21. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

another thing to try is maybe a cardboard divider for air flow. Dell server cases do something like that to help out with heat issues. you could divide the case right between the slots and the CPU and force air flow the way you want it. might be worth trying out

22. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

there is a thought.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

23. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Have you got the space within the case to fit an extension riser card for the Nvidia to move it clear of other stuff?

24. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not sure it would help, as Ive got clean airflow.

Thats why its so irritating.

25. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

My current plan when I get home to use Gainward Expertool, Jack up my fan speed to full (I hope), and then use a cardboard divider to funnel the 120mm fan to my video card, and see how that goes.

I'll underclock if I have to, but didnt really want to.

26. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If you taper the tube/duct down in cross section toward the Nvidia, you will increase the airspeed and thus the cooling effect of the blower.

27. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah Im considering it, I just dont want to compromise overall case airflow. This motherboard has passive cooling and runs hot.

Update: Currently at 52c idle. This is about 12 degress lower than it usually runs. The fan is running at full speed, thanks to Expertool.

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

50c!

Huzzah!

29. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

well cool beans, glad you got it figured out---sorta :)

30. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Heh, yeah sorta.

To each their own I guess. I suppose now I know why it was on Newegg one day, and then never again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds