Not receiving mail in Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Software' started by eclayton, Dec 18, 2005.

1. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Sometime yesterday I quit receiving new messages in Thunderbird. The only thing I downloaded was the Folding at Home client, which I don't think would affect it, since I'm on a network that has a seperate line for email and a seperate line for internet. I restored all my Reg Cleaner backups, and what not, but still nothing. I am able to send email, as far as I know, since no error or message appears that says I'm not sending, but I sent an email to myself and can't receive it.
    I'm running XP with Avast, Microsoft Antispyware, on an Athlon 64 machine with 2Gigs RAM and 2 200 G Hard Drives.
    Should I just reinstall Thunderbird over the top? Will this repair it without losing all my messages, etc?
    Eric

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What firewall are you using Eric and have you checked to see if its blocking Thunderbird? noticed various firewalls sometimes for soem unknown reason block things you have already allowed, evenn goto the trouble of deleting the entry fro Thunderbird and running TB again and allowing access when the FW popup appears.

Also double check the POP and SMTP settings are correct for you ISP.

Do you have an online email account to test sending an email out to?

3. eclayton

Hey Halo.
    Well, I sheepishly must admit that I don't have a personal firewall, I use the network one, but I know I've been real stupid to do that.:eek:
    The pop and smtp settings are still correct. I set up my email account on my daughters computer and checked the mail, and there's plenty of mail coming in, so I know it's something with my machine.
    The mail doesn't come in for me or Cindy, no matter who's logged on. We use the same email address.
    Yes, Cindy has a Gmail account, I'll try to send her an email and let you know what happens. Thanks for helping me Halo! :)

4. eclayton

Yes, it's sending correctly, Cindy received the email in seconds.
    When I hit the "check for mail" button in Thunderbird, on the bottom of the screen it says it's connecting: sending login informaiton: There is no new mail on the server. But I know that's not true, since on my daughters computer it's receiving new emails all the time, and I have hers set to leave a copy on the server. :confused:

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

My next thought was the AV was quarintining the mail or deleting as per this I was reading today http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Anti-virus_Software worth turning off the AVs mail plugin to test but leave the resident ( real time ) protection on.

if you have copies of the email you have been receiving on your daughters PC and a copy still on the server then yes a reinstall may help... couldnt hurt.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you changed, installed new extensions/plugins, upgraded, or patched thunderbird on the problem machine lately? Do you use the nightlies? What version of Thunderbird are you using?

Have you tried re-creating your account within Thunderbird? I.E. Remove the account info, then recreating it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds