'not Responding' - Explain Technical Reasons Why This Happens

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, Feb 23, 2017.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit

This post concerns a question I have had for a long time. I would appreciate if someone would educate me.

'Not responding' happens infrequently, really no big deal. Maybe when using a browser, or some other application. For example, today I was creating a very simple Excel spreadsheet. Then I suddenly get the 'not responding' at the top of the spreadsheet and the laptop freezes; can't even bring up the task manager.

I would appreciate if someone would educate me as to why this happens. Is it a fault in the application software, the OS, or what? And what is happening behind the scene when an application is 'not responding'? And how come I can't recover and need to remove the laptop battery and reboot the laptop?

Thanks.

Dumb_Question likes this.
  2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There are too many reasons on the unique system in question as to why this happens. Literally no one can give you a simple 'this is the reason' answer, and even where they can they need to be, preferably, sitting at the system to look at all kinds of processes.
    What you want is not possible.

3. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

Thanks for responding. I was fairly sure that my question was too general for a specific answer but I thought I would try anyway. Thanks again.

4. harmless

harmless Staff Sergeant

i hear you and i totally understand...
    hopefully, though, this sheds some light on a very murky subject:

+++++

Why does a computer crash?
    It is usually very technical, but maybe this will help:

Dr. Seuss Explains Why Computers sometimes crash.

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port,
    and the bus is interrupted at a very last resort,
    and the access of the memory makes your floppy disk abort,
    then the socket packet pocket has an error to report.

If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash,
    and the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash,
    and your data is corrupted cause the index doesn't hash,
    then your situation's hopeless and your system's gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house
    says the network is connected to the button on your mouse,
    but your packets want to tunnel to another protocol,
    that's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall,
    and your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss,
    so your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse;
    then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang,
    'cuz sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang!

When the copy on your floppy's getting sloppy in the disk,
    and the macro code instructions cause unnecessary risk,
    then you'll have to flash the memory
    and you'll want to RAM your ROM
    then quickly turn off the computer
    and be sure to tell your Mom!

plodr, Eldon, Imandy Mann and 3 others like this.
  5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Wish all explanations were so simple :D

Imandy Mann likes this.
  6. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

I've always assumed the "not responding" was due to the CPU giving high priority to that particular program, and usually happens to me when I'm too impatient or try to re-position the window, i.e. clicking here, there, and everywhere while the computer is busy trying to load the program. Basically, I assumed it meant its "not responding" to my impatience. Rarely has the program failed to load even when I see this notification.

I think its just high CPU usage. That's all.

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Or high RAM usage, or both.

Dumb_Question likes this.
  8. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

This post is not a solution to the issue, more of an addition to the discussion by way of a description of my experience of this issue.

I often have this problem, especially inside IE11 or Firefox. When browsing with a number of tabs open, the tab freezes, with an error 'IE is not responding' and sometimes I also get an error message inviting me 'Recover Webpage' (or similar) and if I click on that sometimes (often) it does return to the webpage, though to the 'root' page, for example if I have reached page 10 of a MG subforum, it would return me to page 1; but sometimes I get 'Windows Explorer has stopped working, windows to has to close explorer', and then (usually) the affected tab only is closed and opened at the 'root' page as before; on yet other occasions I get an internet error giving me some options, including 'return to the site you started from', which invariably works. Task manager typically shows a commit charge of >6GB out of 8GB installed, with the IE process taking up something over 1,000,000 K of space. Often ending this process seems to do no harm, aside from making things easier (Windows memory 'leak') ?.

More rarely it happens with other programs: I get the 'not responding' message. Sometimes by waiting a few minutes the program becomes responsive again and I can proceed, other times it seems permanently (like overnight) unresponsive, including the red 'close' cross at top right of the window. This situation is more common on my XP system.

Dumb_Question
    3.March.2017

HP Pavilion dm4-1050ea (8GB RAM), Windows Home Premium

9. Eldon

Which process is responsible for this?

10. Dumb_Question

First, I can only report what it says in TM under processes and under performance. Usually, the process which uses most memory is IE. Often though, the memory total in processes appears much less than the number under leftmost graph in the performance tab, which I assume to be the total memory in use.

This has previously been explained by the latter figure including the memory 'promised' or reserved for use by the processes, and is to my mind is a better indication of the memory in use. When I say ' >6GB out of 8GB' I refer to the number in TM, so I can't tell you which process. I know only the memory used buy individual processes, and I even have to estimate that total.

Dumb_Question
    3.March.2017

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Right click Computer and select Properties.
    Under System you'll see a Rating with a number and a Windows Experience Index.
    Click that and post a screenshot.

My husband and I have Acer netbooks. His freezes because the CPU and onboard graphics is the bottleneck. The item with the lowest score, shows you the problem hardware that is holding back the system. Obviously in a netbook, I can't replace the CPU/graphics. He has learned to click and wait at times.

12. Dumb_Question

I've attached the screenshot rather posting screenshot in the message (IDK how to do that).

Note that this screenshot is for this computer (dm4-1164nr, w7 Pro), on which I have experienced this issue. the two computers that I have seen this issue are an HP Pavilion dm-1050ea (W7 Home Premium), and a Compaq Presario S5160UK with XP/SP3.

The two dm4's have 8GB RAM matched pairs, each pair probably from different manufacturers but the same spec, and i5 450M and i5 430M respectively. IDK what 'Desktop performance for Windows Aero' is; before looking at the detailed performance numbers I hadn't even heard of Window Aero, and I wonder if this is relevant as it says 'Desktop' and the dm4 is what HP optimistically term 'a notebook'. Both have integrated Intel 3000 graphics (The HP specs don't 3000 but I seem to remember reading that somewhere, I could be wrong).

Actually I can't give that info. for the two machines (not the 1164nr) because both fail to boot into Windows at the moment. ('...hardware not accessible' and 'missing pci.sys').

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

WindowsExperienceDetail_dm4-1164nr.jpg WindowsExperienceDetail_dm4-1164nr.jpg

13. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , As Eldon said , memory usage maybe is the problem , what is your free capacity of your hdd ? What is your hhd's laptop model ?

Start - Run - msinfo32 - ok
    At the right of the panel expand
    Components - Storage - Disks
    At the left side - third choice is the model , you could inform about this

A slow hdd with many tab open in your browser maybe is the cause of this behavior i think , when you are using Firefox with one or two tab what is the system behavior ? :cool:

14. Dumb_Question

I have been referring to two different computers which have shown the 'not responding' message:

model = HP Pavilion dm4-1050ea
    HDD = 320GB Hitachi 7200rpm, about 170GB free IIRC. 8GB RAM (2x4GB dual channel PC-10600)
    Win 7 Home Premium (when it works).

model= Compaq Presario S5160UK (desktop)
    HDD = Seagate 80GB about 10GB free, maybe a bit less, 2 x 1GB DDR-333 RAM
    CPU = Celeron 2700MHz (32 bit) (SL77U)
    Win XP/SP3 (when it works).

On the Presario desktop, which I expect to be slower than the dm4 anyway:
    I have noticed that over a number of years (and many "upgrades") IE can now support fewer tabs than previously - it used to be able 8-9 now it 'freezes' (becomes unresponsive for long periods if I open 3 or more tabs, depending on what sites those tabs are directed. Even with just one tab, it seems a lot slower - could this be the HDD getting full ? Last year I freed 5-6GB...Or is it the result of "upgrades" ?

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

15. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There have been no updates to XP itself for years. Your hard drive will not get fuller unless you are installing loads of stuff and/or not doing decent cleaning of it and not properly deleting unneeded data. Simple deletion doesn't actually delete anything. You should wipe the free space with CCleaner using at least 3 passes. XP hasn't been a productive OS for years.

16. Dumb_Question

My HDD (XP) tells me there are updates available and is asking me to install them...three days ago.

I have installed a bit of stuff in the last couple of years, I think the biggest might have been 'War Thunder' and have put some data on it, not more than 1GB. I have been careful to keep disk usage <90% since I discovered I couldn't defrag. because the disk was too full ! I haven't used CCleaner in a while, but I have cleared the recycle bin frequently, as I know just deleting files just moves them to the recycle bin, and does not remove them from the HDD. Have also deleted Temp Internet files, etc. but these things occupy only a small amount of space.

My two XP systems have been productive until they went wrong recently, but that's another long story.

When I get the main one up again (Instead of the temporary solution I am working with now) - I have a plan - I'll try to "wipe the free space". (If I don't see how to do this I'll be asking you again Max :) )

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

17. Eldon

The problem with the Compaq Presario running WinXP SP3 is probably IE8 wich is not supported by numerous websites.

Are you using IE8 with the HP Pavilion computer?

18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Any 'updates' you see can't be for XP because there have been none for three full years. To defrag efficiently 15% free space is the absolute minimum and 25% is much better.
    Move some data to a USB Drive or DVDs

Not running CCleaner at least WEEKLY is ill-advised. Emptying the recycle bin doesn't really have any benefits. You should do it via CCleaner Slim, and if you set it to 3 deletion passes it is better. Wipe Free Space is in CCleaner > Cleaner > ADVANCED at the bottom.
    Setting the delete level for that is in CCleaner > Options > Settings > Secure deletion > choose the level.

Not doing the above regularly will make your XP increasingly slow to the point of being useless.

19. Dumb_Question

Thanks for the advice on CCleaner Max ! Yes I remember the 15% number, in fact of the 80GB total space on the disk, only 76GB is C:

Eldon: yes I am using IE8. That is the latest version that that computer can run. I comply with all 'necessary' MS updates if I can. I keep getting a message about updating javascript too, but I can't update that any further either. Perhaps I should go back to IE7 if I can ? Would that be better ? Or use firefox more ? I have that (just an extra program install I once did, Max :) - there are lots like that ! unused Crystal disk, Google Earth Pro which I don't have the key/password or whatever to run [actually I might have removed that recently, Revo Uninstaller], etc, etc )

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

20. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You'll never be able to defrag that properly until the used space is at 65gb or less.
    Use Pale Moon or similar - it's much lighter than the standard Firefox. Use an ad blocker with it. I wouldn't ever use IE on that system.
    Uninstall any software you don't use regularly. Turn off most Windows Features that you don't need. Uninstall any .net packages that you don't need.
    Only after the above should you run the final further cleaner > cleaner and registry scanners again, then wipe free space and after all that DEFRAG.

You should also consider applying the Black Viper 'SAFE' services configuration from here:
    http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...32-bit-service-pack-3-service-configurations/

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  21. Eldon

You shouldn't use IE8 in Windows 7 and you can't 'go back' to IE7 - Win7 ships with IE8. Try IE9 or install SP1 to use IE10 or IE11 - only the latter is still supported by Microsoft.
    Better still, use another browser.

MaxTurner likes this.
  22. Dumb_Question

-> Eldon: sorry I should have read your previous post more carefully. Most of I wrote in response to it was about the Presario S5160UK desktop. On my Pavilion dm4 laptop I am using IE11 and Firefox.

->Max Turner: I hear you. 85% of 76GB is 65%. I just read the percentage from the Windows tool, I can't remember which it was now, maybe it was Properties > Clean up ? and selectively deleted stuff until I had enough space to defrag using the Windows defrag. I know you're going to recommend a better defragger :). Yes, I have always believed in smaller easier software that's not filled with rubbish as believe successive updates are. I shall look at Pale Moon, of which I've heard when I "have" time. I really don't want to mess with "Windows Features" or uninstall .NET files because I really don't know what I am doing. I know to look at start up as well, lots of unwanted things being loaded.

Thank you for your suggestions everyone. I hope others have also found them of use.

Meanwhile, to get both the Presario and Pavilion working....

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Use CCleaner to clean up old data and yes do use 'Disk Clean Up' in Windows XP - https://www.microsoft.com/resources...proddocs/en-us/app_disk_cleanup.mspx?mfr=true - but it is not enough.

If you don't want to disable any 'Windows Features' that you don't use, that's up to you but it is simple and they are all listed individually when you go to add/remove programs and the section that relates to windows features.

You are better using a good uninstaller such as Revo Free or Geek Uninstaller to remove software, then you really must run CCleaner > Cleaner and CCleaner > Registry after you have restarted the system after any uninstall. If you don't get into these simple habits you will be at a disadvantage.

Yes 'start up' list is critical and you mostly never need more than any Anti-virus and Firewall to start. I've used this program on XP for years: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/startup_cpl.html

Reducing the used drive space to no more than 65gb is essential.

Defragging - Windows XP has no useful defrag program. There are many good defrag programs hosted on MG - Piriform's 'Defraggler' is fine (they make CCleaner Slim).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  24. Dumb_Question

How do I close that window once I have got the page to display ? (Windows Experience Details)

Dumb_Question
    4.March.2017

25. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

26. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Excellent and easy startup program. I've used it for probably for 10 years and still do even on '7 and '8.1.

27. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

What is your antivirus programme ? It's time to think about buying an external hdd , even what is the exact model of your desktop's hdd ?
    Start - Run - msinfo32 - ok
    At the right of the panel expand
    Components - Storage - Disks
    At the left side - third choice is the model , you could inform about this

if your hdd is old running at 5400 rpm then is the cause of this situation , one thing i thought now if could borrow an psu ( power supply unit ) from a friend testing if your psu works alright or not , perhaps if your psu ( power supply unit ) don't give the right current is the cause of this situation i think :cool:

28. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Click the back arrow at the far left to go back to the previous window showing Properties.

You see the bottleneck is the graphics, same as my husband's laptop which gets "not responding" so he waits.

I've switched him from FF to Palemoon which is easier on resources.

29. Dumb_Question

That's a bit drastic, Max, but ok if you aren't doing anything in particular...it works though (I had to restart this machine by accident when it hibernated and wouldn't wake)

Dumb_Question
    5.March.2017

30. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No it's not. Naturally you wouldn't want to restart when you are in the middle of doing something important that would involve data loss by restarting. In that case you would navigate to that work and either finish it or close it. But hopefully you wouldn't be doing that when you have a system page open that you can't close.
    I do remember the Windows Experience report in XP having a standard exit button and I don't know why you didn't see one.

31. Dumb_Question

I've got Revo uninstaller Free, sometimes I even use it ! I thought Revo, on the default settings, cleared the registry of anything to with the programs it uninstalls anyway ?
    Yes, I've got one or two things by Piriform including CCleaner (not the slim version). When I've made enough disk space I'll get defraggler and defrag the HDD.
    Concerning start up, plodr recommended WinPatrol once, but I didn't ever use it. I'll have look at it again, and startup_cpl
    I'm thinking of moving my system to a bigger HDD anyway. (I'm 'going to...')

Dumb_Question
    5.March.2017

32. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

No in Revo you need to use the ADVANCED mode to clear all. That's why it automatically does a system restore first.
    But restarting the system and then running CCleaner > Cleaner and CCleaner > Registry > fix all issues is a good regime.
    WinPatrol is old hat and not my cup of tea. It's too much system resource use on XP. Start Up CPL is great.

33. Dumb_Question

I don't use Revo in advanced mode, as you guessed, Max, but the next level down.
    plodr's recommendation was a while ago, but I sometimes remember odd things (a sign of incipient mental degeneration)
    CCleaner also backs up the registry IIRC, just in case anything goes wrong...

Dumb_Question
    5.March.2017

34. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

When running the ADVANCED mode in Revo (like 'Powerscan' in IoBit Uninstaller) it shows you what it has found before you click 'ok'.
    If a user wants a clean uninstall, that's the mode to use.
    Yes CCleaner always offers a backup which a user says yes or no to.
    These earlier posts were to illustrate to you an efficient and highly successful regimen for keeping your system in good shape, especially one that is now verging on the PC stone age.

35. Dumb_Question

:) Thanks again, Max

Dumb_Question
    5.March.2017

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds