Not Sure If It's Hardware Or Software Related !?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DON GAYNOR, Jan 29, 2017.

1. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Suddenly, my email screen is half height. Tried rebooting, no help.

TIA

System:

HP Elite Desktop
    8 Gig Ram
    1 TB Hitachi Drive (80% free)
    Windows 10 OS

Attached Files:

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't see the problem in your image because I have no reference for how it is supposed to look. But I will say this. If the problem is with one program only, in this case, your email, then it is not hardware.

Did you try dragging the bottom down? Clicking the Full Screen icon (or pressing F11)?

3. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Digerati,

F-11 displays a full screen with a 4" band horizontally across the top. It's only in Yahoo Mail. Maybe I'll try another mail client. Any recommendations?

BTW, the search field should be directly under the top banner which is now showing as a broad blue horizontal strip.

Moving the cursor across all borders while expecting a double-headed arrow to drag, none appears. Either vertically or horizontally.

Thanks for throwing out the lifeline.

Don

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yahoo mail is showing a large band at the top for me since perhaps Sunday (2 different Win 7 computers). It is on Yahoo's end; there isn't anything you can do about it.

Eventually they will fix it. I've had this happen in the past.

5. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Thanks, plodr,

I was having difficulty logging on to a favorite site, then, miraculously, it fixed itself.

Don

6. Digerati

That happens a lot. Don't assume it is your system. My daughter called me yesterday in a panic because she could not access her company's site to enter her hours. She immediately assumed either her new computer was messed up or my grandson did something. She was using Firefox. I asked if she tried IE or Chrome? They worked so it was not her computer.

In fact, that is a primary reason I have more than one browser installed - to verify if the problem is with the site, or my browser. It is almost always the site.

7. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

Just tried Chrome, problem gone ! But I had FF tweaked to perfection. I'll probably go back to FF when they get it sorted.

Thanks again, D.

Don

8. Digerati

If you like FF but want something different, check out Pale Moon. It was developed from FF, but, IMO, works much better.

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I use Yahoo mail that I've had for years for limited use, and only view it in the latest Firefox release and have not had such problems.

10. Digerati

As Don noted earlier, it "miraculously" fixed itself, so likely a problem on Yahoo's end.

11. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

I had the "blocked site" issue with the same site about a year ago and their technician tracked it to a technical bottleneck somewhere in Alberta, Canada. In fact, I was the only one reporting the problem; a real head-scratcher.

I'm happy again.

Thanks, all.

Don

12. DON GAYNOR

DON GAYNOR Sergeant

SOLVED - IT WAS A YAHOO PROBLEM! Thanks all.

Don

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Yup, I was going to post that my Yahoo was back to "normal" or as normal as it gets today.

Don't be surprised if it happens again. Yahoo from time to time does something on their end and the page displays strange.

14. Digerati

This can happen if an intermediary "hop" you go through because of your physical location is down. If you live in a comparatively remote location, it would affect a relatively few number of Yahoo mail users - who would not even notice if they were not using or monitoring their email during that outage.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds