Not sure if this is hardware or software related

Discussion in 'Software' started by bocaj, May 28, 2007.

1. bocaj

bocaj Private First Class

I have a drive that claims I only have 31gigs of free space.
    However when I highlight the contents (folders/files) of the drive, the total of the content is 65.8gigs and yet the total disk space is 132gigs.
    30 odd gigs are lost somewhere, somehow, any ideas?
    I THINK it's a partitioned drive as well...forgot. lol

2. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I dont know if this is of any help or the correct answer, but I read in a magazine a little while back that when HDDs were smaller in size. Years ago. The manufacturers used to round of the MB, instead of a GB being 1024mb, they would round it to 1000mb. Back then it wasnt really noticable but now we have much bigger drives it has noticable, I dont think this is the case with all manufacturers however. Im unsure if this is totally correct, I havent looked through my mags for the exact details, but maybee its this? But also maybee not! Just a suggestion.confused

Maybee the other partition is the 30 gigs also? Have you tried lookng on a program like everest?

3. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

4. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

You could have a hidden partition on it? you can make them with partition magic

5. bocaj

bocaj Private First Class

It's a 250gig harddrive with 2 partitions.
    One is 100, other is 150 (actually 132).

6. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

ok just a guess, this has happened before to a fellow MG he just ended up leaving it. he could still physically use all his hard drive but his computer said other wise. Just a small problem in the grand scheme of things.

But waynes second post seems most feasible so i doubt your hard drive is broke at the end of the day.

Yours
    UKARMYCADET

7. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

ok just a guess, this has happened before to a fellow MG he just ended up leaving it. he could still physically use all his hard drive but his computer said other wise. Just a small problem in the grand scheme of things.

But waynes second post seems most feasible so i doubt your hard drive is broke at the end of the day.

Yours
    UKARMYCADET

8. sweet_and_sassy_lisa

sweet_and_sassy_lisa Private E-2

Restarting issues can be hardware or software problems ....ram, overheating, software conflicts, etc.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You will loose space due to formating and partitioning but 30GB seems excessive ( from my rough chart on formatting a 250GB should loose 18GB tops. )

To see if your missing any space due to unallocated partitions, goto Disk Managment, Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc and tell us if you haev any unallocated space at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds