Not sure if this is the right place to post this question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by srac123, Mar 23, 2006.

1. srac123

srac123 Private E-2

I have a computer system that won't boot right. when starting system, system does a self check and tries to load Windows (Windows ME Installed, 128MB RAM) it shows a blue screen stating that there is a "Windows protection error, You need to restart your computer. System halted". I can start windows in "safe mode", windows help tells me to run "msconfig". I have run the program in safe mode and unchecked the startup files and others it stated. But the computer still gives me the dreaded blue screen with system halted. Please help, this is my daughters computer.

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

there are a number of things that could be wrong, from faulty hardware, to a simple Windows registry problem. you can read up on it more here http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=149962

Did anything happen to the computer lately? Install anything new?
    Do you have a Windows disk?

My advice would be to save any important information you can while it still boots into Safe Mode, before trying anything else. Then, if you have a Windows Disk, i would reformat the computer, it will save the hastle of trying to find the culprit (if its a software problem) and the computer likely needs a reformat by now anyway.

3. srac123

srac123 Private E-2

I did install a network card into the computer, this is the connection to my DSL router.

I was looking at the computer while it was booting, noticed a buzzing sound, looked closer and noticed the network card busy light was flickering and would go out. After it went out the system error would occure. I have removed the card and the system finished the boot-up. My network card is a linksys LNE 100TX, if that info will help.

4. acejones

acejones A Different Title

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

I have seen a number of cases where the LNE100TX has IRQ conflicts with other devices in the computer. These are far more common in older OS' like WindowsME, as Windows 2000 and XP have Increased IRQ and better management.

you might try enabling PCI IRQ routing (which you can do with the steps they show here http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/support/pfaq/irqsteering.php) or otherwise forcing the card to another IRQ through the BIOS.

if you still cannot get that to work, buy another network card. Good Luck! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds