Not sure what the deal is...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Goodfortitude, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude Private First Class

My family uses the old pc in our home. A while back one of my boys' games would lock up during play. For over a year, only that game would do it. Now for some odd reason, one of the other games on that system will lock up too. I have ran disk checks and other measures to pinpoint a problem. Even clean re-installed the game a couple of times. It runs fine on my pc.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas as to what to look for that would make a particular game lock up every single time, while other games run perfectly fine on it. It's win 98, too. Well, I'm just not sure where to start if I've already re-installed the game at least 2 times now. I need a lot of ideas, because I remember that I did a lot to try to fix the problem before. I'd give just about anything a try at this point, except for re-installing win 98 that is.

2. Aphelion5

Aphelion5 Private E-2

If the game takes up chickenloads of memory, it may be that your "old" PC can't cope with it and just closes to prevent further damage.

If that's the case, try and end some processes that take up memory before running the game. Otherwise, research the game to see if it has any known bugs - it usually shows this on the official website or manual.

Hope that helps.
    Aphelion

3. Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude Private First Class

hmm, thanks. but no, i doubt that's the issue. It's doing it with a couple different games now. And, they're both very low end games that were made about the time the pc was made. Technically speaking, they should run with the pc perfectly... and the other one did for years...

4. semenoff1948

semenoff1948 Private E-2

Well, this isn't really a software issue. If it was, then I would advise contacting the game company instead. Also, can you give us some stats on your computer.

You can view the computer information by going to my computer and clicking "view system information"

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hey goodfortitude, you say you have "ran disks checks" but have you ran any MEM-Tests? (tests the RAM is working ok)

Try this if you havn't already... http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds