not sure whats really wrong !!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hove Blue, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Hove Blue

Hove Blue Private E-2

overnight my partner michaela downloaded a film from limewire that took several hours to do

she tried to 'burn' the film onto a cd but this was unsuccessful

since this happened, two further issues have occured :

a] the monitor keeps losing brightness, so much so that you have to switch the power on every five seconds at times

b] a box appeared suggesting we download a family filter

this post has taken me 40 mins to do due to the brightness going on the monitor !

i have tried system restore to saturday 22nd march to no avail

i have turned the computer off and on several times to no avail

i have run c cleaner and an anti-virus to no avail

when machine is restarted a message pops up about a file being ready to rewrite to cd

as you can no doubt tell, i am pretty clueless about pc's etc..........

help please

many thanks

carl

2. Hove Blue

Hove Blue Private E-2

i now have an 'electric storm' on the screen

lines all over the place on and off and screen jumping a little

oh dear:cry

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I don't think the pirated film and the monitor going crazy have anything to do with each other. I would say either your video card is failing/overheating, or your monitor is dying. Unless you have a 2nd monitor or 2nd video card, this will be very hard to diagnose. Shut down the PC and unplug the power cord. Check the monitor cable: is it plugged into the PC firmly and completely? Are there any kinks in the cable or any damage? Check where it connects to the monitor and make sure that's OK. Open the PC and make sure the video card is firmly and completely seated in the slot. If it has a fan, make sure it is not locked up and that it is clean from dust and debris. Check the main CPU fan for the same thing. Check any other cards and the memory chips and be sure they are properly installed in their respective slots. If you have on board video, all you can really do is make sure the monitor is plugged in correctly. When you power up again, press F8 right when the PC is turned on until you get the "Boot Options" menu. Select "Safe Mode". When Windows loads up, your colors may look a bit strange, but it should not look like an electrical storm and everything should be steady and easily visible.
    Let us know how it goes. You may need to take your PC to a repair shop if you don't have access to extra parts to swap out to pinpoint the problem.
    Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds