Notebook Blank Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Code Error, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Code Error

Code Error Private E-2

I have a blank screen problem with my laptop upon start up. I have an Asus F3JM notebook purchased in 2006.

The problem arose while I was playing a game (Civilisations 4). The game froze with the music still playing in the background but 5 seconds later the music stopped followed by a short but very load beeping sound from the laptop. Then a blue screen with white writing on it descended down the screen. But within a second the laptop restarted. After the restart the laptop loaded windows and the first message on my user was that the “computer has just recovered from a serious error” and also said something like "an error accured as a result of hardwear failure" then I was directed to a Microsoft website searching for updates.

The browser page then filled up with lines from left to right going down the page after about 30 seconds. Very similar to when you drag a window really fast over your desktop on a slow computer. Within a second of this happening the computer restarted.

During this restart the screen was blank with only the CCFL in the screen working. Usually my computer would first load up a black screen saying ASUS with a tone with it. But during this restart only the tone can be heard with no ASUS screen. The computer would flash all its lights showing the equipment is working (keyboard, processor, web cam and so on), which it did. But with nothing on the screen the computer starts loading something (assuming windows) for about 2-3 minutes then restarts and this circle would go on an on.

I tested the HDD and it seem there is nothing wrong with the drive when I inserted into another pc as an external.

I tested putting an external monitor to the laptop but its still a blank screen.

Would anyone know what could be the problem here?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Sounds like the video card failed in it. If it the video card likely you would have the replace the motherboard in it.

I don't think it's worth repairing due to the cost if hardware failed.. Probably cheaper to buy a new laptop.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I'm sorta with pclover on that, but I would still check and see if a fan or heatsink might have been disconnected or just real dirty.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds