Notebook & desktop need cleaning - is it safe to do myself?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SweetShelby, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SweetShelby

SweetShelby Private E-2

I have a notebook and a desktop that are both filthy with years of accumulated dust, dirt and pet hair. They are both running hotter and hotter over time. The pet hair is visible sticking out from under the keyboard and in the fan on the notebook.

A local computer places charges $50/hr for labor for the desktop and $75/hr for labor for the notebook to clean them. They charge one hour minimum labor.

I think I might be okay opening up the desktop, but I am nervous to open my laptop.

Is there a link available with step-by-step instructions for cleaning a notebook and a desktop myself?

Is it a better investment in my computer to hire a professional?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Here's a good reference on cleaning a laptop or notebook: Cleaning A Laptop Computer. I'd also watch the video there.

And, here's a video on cleaning a desktop PC inside: Desktop Computer Cleaning Tips. Since your computer is quite dirty, I suggest taking it outside for this procedure, if possible. When cleaning, pay particular attention to the heatsink on your processor. If the fins are clogged with dust, that's going to take some extra work, perhaps even removing the heatsink. If your computer appears to need major heatsink cleaning, beyond what can be done with compressed air only, post back before procedure. Removal and reinstallling a heatsink requires some special steps.

3. SweetShelby

SweetShelby Private E-2

These are good videos, the visual is helpful. Also news to me that I do not open up the notbook to clean inside it.

I will try this and leave the professionals if I do not get all the dirt out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds