Notebook HDD question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironman6626, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Hello all!...
    I could use some education regarding standardized configurations of HDD's used in Laptops & notebooks.
    A little background...I'm an expat currently in the Philippines by way of Oregon.
    My college age niece has an old LG 410 notebook with a non functioning Hard Drive. Symptoms...upon boot up the mass storage is not recognized and gives the choice to boot via the F12 key..then asks to reinstall the OS and it progresses only far enough to ask to load drivers for the partition which is not visible. I pulled the hard out of the notebook and left the pin connector attached and did a reboot. The drivers are definitely loaded as the hard drives attempts to spin internally, but quickly goes to the clicking sound and soon stops completely.
    I'm getting long winded ...sorry!
    Based on my geographic location odds of getting a replacement are pretty small.
    Specs: Manufacturer Fujitsu 320 GB
    Model # MHZ2320BH G2
    Part # CA07018-B43800LG
    The body of the hard drive measures 2 3/4" x 4"
    I am guessing but I am sure there may be a name for this style of chassis and
    pin connector configuration on this hard drive.
    So as a search for a replacement I need to know the correct catch words to talk intelligently when making any inquires.

Attached Files:

2. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Also Friends..I wished to thank all in advance...:)

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Your attached photos show a standard 2½" SATA notebook hard drive. Mine are even older IDE/PATA connection. But, notebook hard drives are 2½" because of space constraints and desktop hard drives are 3½". There are also 1.8" drives for the even smaller netbooks.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It is a standard 2.5" laptop HDD with a SATA connector. Any 2.5" laptop HDD or SSD with a SATA connector will work as a replacement. Most PC manufacturers use the same standard.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

6. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Thanks very much all who replied and set me straight.
    I had a strong idea about specific configurations being used among
    the various manufacturers, but needed to hear from you who had more
    experience regarding such upgrades and repairs.
    And yes!...I had considered the upgrade to solid state....would this mean
    that the solid state replacement would be smaller and require an adapter to connect to the Notebooks connector?
    Once again!....Thank you in advance for your sound advice.

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

No, the SSD would also be the same physical size and have the same SATA connections. No other adapter would be needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds