Notebook 'minimums' for playing Blu-Ray movies?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jan 7, 2009.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I'm wanting to get a notebook/laptop [not "netbook"] for my wife. Her demands are pretty pedestrian; a few business apps, photos & avi's of the family kind, but also occasional movie [distractions when traveling].
    I don't want it to be quite obsolete on Day 1 so I'm looking at insuring that the DVD drive is capable of reading Blu-Ray DVD's, and that the graphic subsystem is up to snuff. Since "Vista" seems to be on all the newest Notebooks, I assume it is going to be more sluggish than a leaned-down WinXP.

Is a high-powered graphics 'card' a necessity in this case? Memory is cheap and most of the newish units can go to 4GB so I'm thinking of doing that full-up immediately. Will that help smooth things out if the graphics subsystem is just 'ordinary'?

Also, if her pick of a Notebook does not have the most up-to-date DVD, is removing/replacing that DVD cost-effective or am I going to get hammered on the cost?

Thx for the collective wisdom!
    z

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds