Notebook screen black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ej1245, Jan 20, 2007.

1. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Hi, my Compaq Presario M2000 screen won't come on, the notebook appears to boot up fine, but no screen! any thoughts? I dont have a cable to check it on another monitor. I do have it on my home wifi network however.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

You either have inverterboard that probably went bad, or you have it set to use an external monitor. If just a monitor switch, press fn F5 keys and see if you can get the internal LCD to come up. If not, the way to check for a bad invertor board is shine a flashlight onto the screen, and see if you can see any writing, if not, either test fails, you have a bad Invertor board.

3. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Do you have an external monitor or access to an external moniter.

4. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

Do you mean the fn and f4? I tried that, nothing, and shined the flashlight into the screen, nada.:(

5. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

i have another laptop, just not a 15 pin cable

6. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

is there a way to boot in safemode or something without a screen?

7. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

What i think he is trying to say to you i that it is very common for backlights or lcd inverters to go bad. The ideal method of checking to see if it is your settings or hardware is to hook up to an external monitor and see if the display comes up on it. If you do not there is another method. Get a realy strong flash ligh and shine on the screen if you can see every thing real fant thn it is hardware ie backlight or lcd inverter. But that are a few steps if you do not see any thing it is easier to use an external to troubleshoot. Once you do that i can talk you thru the rest.

8. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Booting in safe mode will nothelp the problem.

9. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

didn't see a thing with the flashlight, black. I dont know when i can go buy a cable, any other thing i can try?

10. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Sometimes it is hard to see with a flashlight try to adjust the screen so light frome the room is less and shine the flashlight at an angle it is kind of difficult to do you have to look at many angles. because of light if steel can not see any thing let me know or if you do let me know so i can talk you thru it.

11. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

YES! I just got it hooked up my old desktop monitor, picture comes up fine on that, now what?

12. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Right click the desktop and select properties a dialouge box will appear.
    click on setting tab and click on advanced tab a new dialouge box will appear.
    Select monitor in the drop down menu select default monitor click ok.
    Then restart and let me know if it works.

13. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

nothing, it was already set to default

14. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

okay the next thing to do is to do a system restore you will not loose any thing on your computer it will just restore the settings.

Go to start > help and support > system restore. Then select an earlier date. And it willl restart to that day. let me know if that works if not we will go to the next step.

15. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

system restore failed, i'm trying another restore point

16. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Let me know when it works.

17. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

can't seem to do a system restore, it keeps saying cant restore there, should I run scanreg or something?

18. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Restart your computer while holdng the f8 key and select last known good config.

19. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

didnt seem to make any diff, when i toggle with fn & f4 only the external monitor works still

20. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

do these settings look right?

Attached Files:

21. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

yes do the restart for last known good config

22. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

tried that, it didnt seem to make any diff

23. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Okay then your lcd inverter is bad on your compuer it cost about $27 thru hp to buy a new one.

24. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

HP support chat had me go into bios, i could see the windows logo very faint, then it disapeared. She would not help me any further. does this mean the LCD is fried?:(

25. ej1245

ej1245 Corporal

when it fades to black, its the inverter? how hard is it to replace that? I know how to install new cdrom drive and ram.

26. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

27. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

The hp parts store has inverters for that that labtop i have already had to buy them from there for that specific one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds