Notebook that can handle 1080P smoothly, big screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Jul 20, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I have been shopping for a newer notebook/netbook for a couple months and am amazed at how difficult it is to get straight answers! one would think that, here at the tail end of the lifecycle of all things notebook and desktop, that all that can be known would be known, cataglogued, googlable, etc... no mysteries.
    alas, not so.

anyway, some combination of fast processor + probably Radeon Graphics should be able to output Vid/Audio via HDMI to a big screen [52"] plama, lcd, led, whatever, and run movies/mkv's, etc smoothly... you know, kinda like my dirt cheap sony bdpn460 does [so cheap it was free to me].

what are some good choices?
    on another forum, some guy opined that one would have to, at minimum, get a unit that has :
    "AMD Athlon II/Pentium Dual-Core P OR B/AMD Phenom II based: ~50-55W Total TDP
    AMD E-series based: ~30W Total TDP
    AMD C-series based: ~20W Total TDP"

I admit I don't really understand how to use this info... searching sorta scattergun fashion for an "E-Series" laptop is a waste of time .. the terminology is not widely used it seems. Can someone translate?

2. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

The Intel IX chips have integrated Graphics that will play HD (not sure of the top of my head whether they will do 1080P though), so any laptop with an HDMI socket and BD drive will do HD of some form.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

I've read a lot [too many] user reviews and not very encouraged about anything under 700 bucks or so. On the other hand, I recently easily made a little desktop that does this duty with ease, for about 130 bucks. [still waiting on a $10 video rebate...:) ... which would lower to 120].
    I thought the fusion-based, Radeon 6xxx small notebooks were the ticket, but the feedback is that they stutter in 1080p/big-screen-output mode, in spite of a lotta ram.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds