Notepad missing when trying to view website source codes

Discussion in 'Software' started by OrganicForMe, Sep 8, 2006.

1. OrganicForMe

OrganicForMe Private E-2

Hey everyone -- sorry for the remedial question, but for some reason my notepad will not pull up now when trying to view source codes of my websites.

I can get it to launch independently, but when in a web browser, it gives me the following error:

>> Windows cannot find 'notepad'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.<<

Does anyone know how to re-set an MS Notepad application to the original setting so that I can view webpage sources? I have other notepads as well installed, like Metapad which I like much better -- is there a way to make this my default?

Thanks a million,
    Beth

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would expect that your PATH environment variable is not set. Programs depend on this variable to know where to look for 'notepad' when not given a full path to the program. Opening notepad manually DOES supply a full path, and therefore, will work. Here's how we can check:

1. Hit windows key + r (or click Start --> Run)
    2. Type 'cmd' (without the quotes)
    3. Hit enter (or click 'OK')
    4. Type 'echo %PATH%'

This will show you the values set to the PATH environment variable. notepad.exe should be in c:\windows\system32 so ensure that this directory is in the PATH variable. Post back if you need any help!

3. OrganicForMe

OrganicForMe Private E-2

Hey Mada_Mity -- thanks -- I followed the 'echo %PATH%' command, and c:\windows\system32; does come up.

I can manually get notepad to launch by going to my Start menu, but the problem is that I am trying to edit some HTML and PHP files and I need to view source code from my websites to see where I made some changes a few weeks ago.

Any way to re-set the web browser settings so that I can launch notepad directly from an IE browser -- View>Source>

Thanks again!
    Beth

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

shouldn't notepad be in %WINDIR% as well as system32 on xp

Windows 95: C:\WINDOWS
    Windows 95/98/98SE/ME: C:\WINDOWS
    Windows NT4/2000: C:\WINNT and C:\WINNT\System32
    Windows XP: C:\WINDOWS and C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Deleted by: CWS.Googlems, and most browser hijackers that use the ADODB.Stream exploit.
    Purpose: Notepad application executable, required to run it.
    Symptoms: Error messages 'Cannot find file NOTEPAD.EXE' or 'NOTEPAD.EXE' is not a valid Win32 application'.

Its probably not malware just a file association problem though

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

6. OrganicForMe

OrganicForMe Private E-2

Thanks Matt -- I appreciate the speedy reply and help -- I'll try these and get back to you in a few.

Beth

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

It sounds to me like internet explorer is configured to use notepad (otherwise windows would not say that you could not find notepad), but we can confirm:

1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Select the 'Tools' menu
    3. Select 'Internet Options'
    4. Select the 'Programs' tab
    5. Next to 'HTML Editor' ensure that Notepad is selected.

However, as I said, I think this will be the case for you.

Here's what I would be interested to see:

1. Navigate through your start menu to the WORKING notepad shortcut
    2. Right-click the shortcut
    3. Select 'Properties'

Here, you should see the path to the notepad executable. You can even press the 'Find Target' button, and windows explorer will open to the exact location of the program. This SHOULD be c:\windows\system32.

Now, if it is in there, and the system32 folder is in the path, then Hitting windows key + r (or clicking Start --> Run) and typing JUST 'notepad' (without the quotes) SHOULD launch notepad. If it does then we have narrowed it down to a problem with Internet Explorer. If not, then we should look elsewhere.

8. OrganicForMe

OrganicForMe Private E-2

I think something went haywire when I updated with service pack 2 -- this is what the properties say:

I'm on XP home
    version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : service pack 2).

Could this be the problem? or that I have more than one notepad or wordpad on the Windows system32?

In answer to your previous question re: Tools>Options>File Editor only gives me one option which is MS Front Page as my HTML editor.

I do think it is a problem with my IE settings -- notepad does exist in my system32 directory (and a few other places also).

Thanks,
    Beth

9. OrganicForMe

OrganicForMe Private E-2

Mada_Milty -- this is the location of the notepad.exe:
    C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh! Okay! Can we change this to notepad and apply the settings?

11. OrganicForMe

OrganicForMe Private E-2

It only gives one option which is MS Front Page -- tried replacing it with notepad ... :( Thanks though...

I ran a search for all other instances of notepad (and variations) in my directory -- it shows up a few times as well as a few other notepad replacements I tried to download a few months ago. I wonder if my ops (win xp home) can't resolve which program it should open?

Beth

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds