Notification area problem (Win XP)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gab54, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Gab54

Gab54 Private E-2

I downloaded a Free AVG antivirus, after I ran it and restarted my PC I got 2 problems:

1. A file called "search enhancement pack" started to pop up, and it's quite anoying.

2. My notification area in the taskbar is gone, the only icon that's left is the clock, and when I tried to fix it in the taskbar and start menu properties I was only able to choose the "show the clock" option. But the part that says "You can keep the notification are uncluttered by hiding icons that you have not clicked recently" and the Hide inactive icons option are both in light gray and unable to modify.

Please, any kind of help will be welcomed.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Uninstall AVG. To do this, pretend you are going to install it but one of the screens allows you to remove it completely. If I remember, it is about the 3rd or 4th screen which says: install, repair or remove. (Be sure to check the option below removal to remove all the custom settings and things in the vault so it is a complete removal).
    Then reinstall but do not accept the default install. Change the selection to Advanced and ignore all the warnings that this is only for experienced users. While installing again, look over EVERYTHING that it wants to install with AVG and de-select all the extra toolbars or whatever it wants to install. You may have to expand some of the choices to see everything and remove the checks/ticks from the boxes.

3. Gab54

Gab54 Private E-2

Plodr, I tried your advise, but there was no change! As I said the only remaining icon is the clock. I checked the sound and audio devices properties and "place volume icon in the taskbar is checked", still I don't have any icons left.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sorry, obviously I'm not up in what is happening in the world of XP. :-o
    I also do not install any "enhancements" nor toolbars. This sounds like something I would never install in windows.

5. Gab54

Gab54 Private E-2

Hey Guys,

First of all, thanks for the advises, the search enhancement pack stopped popping up on it's own, so that was pretty cool.

And I finally managed to solve the System Tray / Notificationa area problem. In case any of you have this same problem, here's what you have to do:

- Click the start button.
    - Then run and type regedit and hit enter.
    - Then navigate in this folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER, search for the subfolder Software, then Microsoft, then Windows, then CurrentVersion, then Policies, and finally the folder called Explorer.
    - In the Explorer folder you should find a DWORD called NoTrayItemsDisplay, right click it and select modify.
    - Change the value of NoTrayItemsDisplay to cero, and restart your computer.

And that should do the trick!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds