NSLU2 w/ Maxtor Mini One Touch HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dondd, Jun 15, 2007.

1. dondd

dondd Private E-2

I have a Maxtor (now Seagate) One Touch Mini III hard disc drive connected to a Linksys NSLU2. The drive works fine as I can access it and read/write to it. The Maxtor has a power save function in firmware that allows it to stop spinning (after 1 hour of non-use) and wait for an access command to spin up.

The issue I'm having is that the NSLU2 (version 2.3 R63) seems to be keeping the Maxtor from going into the power save mode. If I power cycle the NSLU2, an hour later, the Maxtor will go into power save. However, once I access it to read or write to the drive, it won't go into power save unless I power cycle the NSLU2 again.

Is there something the NSLU2 is doing periodically to prevent the drive from entering power save? Is there anything I can do from a configuration perspective to fix this issue?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds