NTLDR error after installing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DAREALGUMMY, Apr 19, 2011.

1. DAREALGUMMY

DAREALGUMMY Private E-2

My PC started having problems a few weeks ago and I thought it was just my Power supply. After replacing it, I still got errors. Then I finally got it down to a bad hard drive. It is a Sata Drive and I recieved an IDE drive from a friend of mine. The Sata drive had XP on it and I decided to install Windows 7 on the IDE Drive.

So now the problem is that while Windows 7 runs perfectly, my PC still uses the old Sata drive as the main drive. The errors on it freeze my computer after awhile of being on. So I decided to just take the SATA drive out since I no longer needed to transfer files from it. When I boot the IDE drive alone, I get the NTLDR error.

I've gone into my Bios and tried switching the boot order and what my PC reads first but still nothing works. Is there anything I'm missing or something I could do to fix this problem? Thanks.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, NTLDR is an XP error so it seems strange that it would appear on the IDE drive with Win7. Especially since you didn't install XP recently. I'm not sure exactly hoe that has happened.

I would try using the Win7 CD to try installing the boot files on the IDE drive. Disconnect the SATA drive and boot to the Win7 installation CD. Choose the option to repair your computer which I believe is at the bottom left. Run Startup repair option up to three times (it only fixes one thing at a time). This should put a new copy of the boot files on the IDE hard drive so you no longer need the SATA drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds