NTLDR Is Missing..Please help

Discussion in 'Software' started by aleisure2, Jan 28, 2010.

1. aleisure2

aleisure2 Private E-2

I have a HP,Pc M307n running win,Xp 2004 with media center at least I was .Im getting a NTLDR is missing press alt-control-delete to restart...I do not have a recovery disk and I would like to not have to buy one from Hp.Is thare eny way for me to fix this problem? eny help is very welcome and i would be very greateful thanks...

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can try borrowing a disc as long as it is the same version of what you have installed, and then do this:

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
    2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
    3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
    4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
    5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
    6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

3. aleisure2

aleisure2 Private E-2

Thanks for your post Tim .ive tryed just XP disks and no luck at all i just figurd its because they dident have media center on them.could i take windows 7 or make a recovery disk from another computer with windows 7 and use that.cause i do have that at my disposal.but i have not tried it yet .:confused

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Only an XP disc will have those files. Vista and & no longer use ntldr.

What was your problem with copying from the XP discs you had? ( I believe even without media center those files should be there)

Also ntldr missing can be caused by several things and doesn't always mean the actual file is missing. Had you changed any hardware on the computer or did it just start one day at bootup?

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have a read of this

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

It's my understanding the media center is XP Pro with a few more baubles added.

7. aleisure2

aleisure2 Private E-2

WELL Ive tried the tinyempire site three times and no dice ..I used a flash drive two times and a RW-dvdthe 3rd maybe i did it wrong .Ill try it once more and use a floppy this time.the times ive tried i havent got nothing no change at all the same thing .Ntldr is missing..

8. aleisure2

aleisure2 Private E-2

well the problem is that nothing happens...f10 nothing f8 or R key nothing happens it goes directly too the Ntldr is missing pree ctrl -alt -del to restart..it happend wile playing wurmonline.com it just shut off and when i turnd it on thats ware i was ..the only thing i can get is F1 bios screen i think its called and Esc key works too ive put an xp disk in and it did not do enything..

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You want to go into the BIOS screen and look for Boot Order. Then you want to make sure that the first item is CD and the second item is Hard Drive. (There should be instructions about using the arrow keys to move items up or down the list on the side of the screen)

That should get the PC to boot from the CD so you can try and copy the files.

10. aleisure2

aleisure2 Private E-2

ok I will def try that I was messing with it the the other day when I was trying to get the file I down loaded from tiny empires website but with no luck but ill give it a nother go..thanks so much for yours and everybody elses help in this matter..:major

11. aleisure2

aleisure2 Private E-2

so still the same no dice i moved the cd drive to 1 and hard drive to 2 and i get the same thing.i tried esc. boot from drive too and selected cd drive nothing.:cry

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you trying to boot from a Microsoft genuine XP disk or something else? If something else, tell us exactly what it says on the disk.
    You might be trying to boot from something that is not bootable and no amount of changing drives around is going to allow you to boot from an unbootable disk.

13. aleisure2

aleisure2 Private E-2

Its a Microsoft office XP disk version 2002 and my comp is 2004 dang thats why isent it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds